Thursday, December 19, 2019

Reg Dwight – Part 2

In addition to his trademark singing voice and stellar piano playing, Elton John had two other secret weapons helping to catapult him to ‘70s superstardom and universal acclaim: the boys in his band, who not only played their own instruments but also served as sensational backup singers; and, of course, the colorful lyrics of Bernie Taupin. In fact, of my 20 favorite Elton John songs, Mr. Taupin wrote the words to 16 of them. Who are Levon, Bennie and the Jets, Tiny Dancer, and Rocket Man? Who cares? It was the ‘70s, man, when Bernie and Elton just let their talents and imaginations run wild.



Sadly, weird, wonderful, and creative songs like those classic ‘70s John/Taupin compositions no longer exist in today’s boring, fractured pop musical landscape. Who is today’s Elton John? Certainly not John himself, or Lady Gaga (besides the costumes, what else has she in common with Sir Elton?) For the record, I have no desire to see the recent Elton John biopic Rocketman since everything I ever need to know about him I already learned from VH1’s Behind the Music. But I will tip my hat to the man (who is the same age as my parents) and simply say thank you for the music, Elton (and Bernie). Here are some more of my favorite Elton John songs. Enjoy!



01. Elton John – “Bennie and the Jets” (1973)
02. Elton John – “Someone Saved My Life Tonight” (1975)
03. Elton John – “Daniel” (1973)
04. Elton John – “Levon” (1971)
05. Elton John – “Tiny Dancer” (1971)
06. Elton John and Kiki Dee – “Don’t Go Breaking My Heart” (1976)
07. Elton John – “Rocket Man” (1972)
08. Elton John – “I Guess That’s Why They Call It the Blues” (1983)
09. Elton John – “Little Jeannie” (1980)
10. Elton John – “Seasons - Reprise” (1971)



Listen to the playlist on Spotify...




Recommended Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment