Tuesday, April 27, 2021

America Is Weird and So Are You

As a parent, I approach so-called children’s music cautiously. To get my parental seal of approval, music made for children should accomplish three things: serve as good background music for playtime; be listenable enough for both parents and children in the car; and make each one a better person for having listened to it. Pete Seeger’s Circles & Seasons gets my seal of approval. 


While I have my doubts whether Seeger intended Circles & Seasons to be a children’s record, I find approaching folk music as children’s music enhances my enjoyment of it. The songs on this album are wonderfully eclectic and each song better than the last resulting in a very satisfying listen. Adults may find the opening track “Garbage” kind of depressing but kids won’t. This is music that respects children, respects their intelligence, and fills the nursery with both fun and dignity. 


Seeger has not always been my cup of tea but this record is tea I can drink and then ask for seconds. It’s late Pete Seeger- he was around 60- and the old folkie gets production assistance from his fellow Weaver, Fred Hellerman. There is warmth and humanity in this record. For those who find the music weird, so what? America is weird and so are you. Children are innocent and don’t possess our adult hang-ups. Pete and Fred understand this. Their shared love for music and people shines through. Grade: A-


Listen to the album on Spotify...



... or check out the album on YouTube

(To open music in separate window, click title bar at top of video box)



Recommended Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment