Sunday, December 23, 2018

Christmas Faves II – Part 3

John 1:14-18: And the Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us, and we saw his glory, the glory as of the Father’s only Son, full of grace and truth.  
John testified to him and cried out, saying, “This was he of whom I said, ‘The one who is coming after me ranks ahead of me because he existed before me.’”
From his fullness we have all received, grace in place of grace, because while the law was given through Moses, grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has ever seen God. The only Son, God, who is at the Father’s side, has revealed him.

Nat King Cole

I grew up at the end of the Christmas television variety show era, an era in which talent and class still counted for something and before so-called reality became popular entertainment. For my money, no artists mastered both sacred and secular Christmas music better- and as effortlessly- as Andy Williams, Frank Sinatra, and Nat King Cole. Their popular Christmas tunes and talents still shine some fifty years later; still carry that magic of the Christmas season; and still make me feel like a kid at Christmastime listening to the radio or waiting excitedly in my pajamas for the next Christmas TV special to begin.

Andy Williams

But even as a kid (and an altar boy) I was also aware of the religious significance of the Christmas holiday and always attended Mass on Christmas (unless I was home sick, which happened often to me that time of year). How easily Christians- both children and adults- can forget and need reminding of what we are celebrating at Christmas: God became man. Jesus is both God and man and we worship and adore him- not only as the son of God, but as God himself, Christ the Lord, second person of the Holy Trinity, the Infinite and Almighty God who created the universe; was born in a stable; and calls all men to him in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Come let us adore him, our Lord and savior, Jesus Christ, who loves us. Here are some more of my favorite Christmas songs. Enjoy!

Frank Sinatra

01. Andy Williams – “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” (1963)
02. Andy Williams – “White Christmas” (1963)
03. Andy Williams – “Kay Thompson’s Jingle Bells” (1963)
04. Mahalia Jackson – “Joy to the World” (1962)
05. Frank Sinatra – “Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!” (1948)
06. Robert Goulet – “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” (1963)
07. Frank Sinatra – “Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town” (1948)
08. Angela Lansbury – “We Need a Little Christmas” (1966)
09. Frank Sinatra – “I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm” (1961)
10. The Chieftains feat. Burgess Meredith – “Don Oiche Ud I mBeithil” (1991)
11. The Chieftains feat. Rickie Lee Jones – “O Holy Night” (1991)
12. John Denver and Rowlf – “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” (1979)
13. Nat King Cole – “O Come All Ye Faithful” (1960)
14. Nat King Cole Trio – “All I Want for Christmas (Is My Two Front Teeth)” (1949)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...


No comments:

Post a Comment