Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Country Grab Bag III – Part 2

“And even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, until in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God.” 
– Aeschylus


I am drawn to country songs that reflect both the light and dark sides of life, especially those songs about the highs and lows of desire. We are all human, things are tough all over, and to me the best of country music touches something deep and universal in the human condition. I guess the best of any music does that, but country always has that twinge of sadness running through it and the secret truth that sometimes it feels good to be sad. In our fallen human nature, we are lost, confused, and empty without God. And without God, it ain’t country music. Here are some more of my favorites. Enjoy!


01. Kenny Rogers and Dottie West – “’Til I Can Make It on My Own” (1979)
02. Jimmy LaFave – “Walk Away Renée (Live)” (1992)
03. Kenny Rogers – “Daytime Friends” (1977)
04. Eric Weissberg and Steve Mandell – “Dueling Banjos” (1972)
05. Johnny Cash – “For the Good Times” (2003)
06. Dolly Parton – “I Will Always Love You” (1974)
07. Lee Ann Womack – “I Hope You Dance” (2000)
08. NItty Gritty Dirt Band feat. Roy Acuff – “I Saw the Light” (1972)
09. Jimmy LaFave – “Catch the Wind” (2007)
10. Dolly Parton – “The Bargain Store” (1975)
11. Dolly Parton – “Jolene” (1973)
12. Brooks & Dunn and Reba McEntire – “If You See Him/If You See Her” (1998)
13. Loretta Lynn – “She’s Got You” (1977)
14. Chris Hillman – “Wildflowers” (2017)
15. The Statler Brothers – “Do You Know You Are My Sunshine” (1978)
16. Jim Reeves – “Welcome to My World” (1962)
17. Mason Proffit – “Walk on Down the Road” (1969)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...


No comments:

Post a Comment