Monday, April 29, 2019

Jean’s Jazz: Smells Good II

I never really understood jazz but back in the ‘90s when I was trying to learn more about it I went straight to the source: Fats Waller and Louis Armstrong. Then while working as a houseboy on Long Island my employers used to play Ella Fitzgerald- whose voice exposed me to the songs of Cole Porter- and during my time in the Peace Corps I started listening to Frank Sinatra- who schooled me in the old standards.

Chet Baker

I’m not really into hard, trippy, or experimental jazz; I gravitate more towards jazz interpretations of well-known standards whether it’s Cole Porter, Lennon and McCartney, or movie themes. I guess there’s something comforting in hearing a song I already know but with a touch of jazz and such tunes can also usually class up any cocktail or dinner party. Here are some more of my favorite jazz songs. Enjoy!

Ella Fitzgerald

01. Chet Baker – “It Never Entered My Mind” (1959)
02. Gerry Mulligan Quartet feat. Chet Baker – “My Funny Valentine (Live)” (1952) 
03. Ramsey Lewis – “Dear Prudence” (1968)
04. Chet Baker Quartet – “Summertime” (1956)
05. Richard Stoltzman – “Philadelphia (From ‘Philadelphia’)” (1995)
06. Dizzy Gillespie – “Stardust” (1956)
07. Ella Fitzgerald – “All Through the Night” (1956)
08. Ella Fitzgerald – “Anything Goes” (1956)
09. Ella Fitzgerald – “Miss Otis Regrets (She’s Unable to Lunch Today)” (1956)
10. Ella Fitzgerald – “Too Darn Hot” (1956)
11. Ella Fitzgerald – “Manhattan” (1956)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...



Recommended Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment