Saturday, February 22, 2020

Classical Music Faves III

As mentioned in an earlier entry, when I was a kid I would lie on our living room floor playing with my action figures while listening to classical music on the stereo. It was the perfect music to inspire my imagination to create and direct epic tales with my figures- my actors- and to this day classical music helps me not only to relax and sleep but also to study, work, think, imagine- and just be.

John Barry

I enjoy listening to music and watching movies that inspire me and make me feel and to me it makes sense that classical music and movies go so well together. Alas, it would not surprise me if both classical music and film stimulate the same parts of the brain- and the soul. Here is some more of my favorite classical music including orchestra, Romantic, opera, 20th/21st Century, and Baroque. Enjoy!


01. Barry: “Out of Africa: Main Theme”
       – Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Nick Ingman (2002)
02. Mozart: “Così fan tutte, Act 1, Scene 2: No. 10 Terzettino: Soave sia il vento (Dorabella/Don Alfonso/Firodiligi)”
       – Riccardo Muti, Angela Baltsa, José van Dam, Margaret Marshall, Wiener Philharmoniker (1982)
03. Debussy: “Suite bergamasque, L. 75: No. 3, Claire de lune (Arr. L. Caillet for Orchestra)”
       – Eugene Ormandy, Philadelphia Orchestra (1963)
04. Puccini: “O mio babbino caro”
       – Kiri Te Kanawa, Sir John Pritchard, The London Philharmonic Orchestra (1983)
05. Vaughan Williams: “The Lark Ascending”
       – Britten Sinfonia, Nicholas Cleobury, Pauline Lowbury (1998)
06. Britten: “Songs from ‘Friday Afternoons’, Op. 7: Songs from Friday Afternoons, Op. 7: ‘Cuckoo!’”
       – Viola Tunnard, Choir of Downside School, Purley (1967)
07. Tchaikovsky – “The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Act 1: March”
        – Pacific Northwest Ballet Orchestra & Emil de Cou (2016)
08. Debussy: “The Girl with the Flaxen Hair”
         – Joshua Bell, Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, Michael Stern (2003)
09. Mozart: “Le nozze di Figaro, K.492 / Act 3: ‘Sull’aria … Che soave zeffiretto”
        – Edith Mathis & Gundula Janowitz & Orchester der Deutschen Oper Berlin & Karl Böhm (1968)
10. Vivaldi: “Sposa son disprezzata”
        – Cecilia Bartoli, György Fischer (1992)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...




Recommended Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment