Monday, April 27, 2020

Country Grab Bag IV

Ken Burns is at it again- this time with an epic documentary on the history of country music. I’ve only seen a few parts on television and while for the uninitiated it’s sure to be quite the education, for seasoned country fans like the Jean there is not much new to learn. Still, watching it for me was like looking through an old family photo album, and there are still new yarns to hear from those who were there- and are still living. And while I try to keep up with new country, my heart remains with classic.


For me, classic country runs from the second Truman administration through the end of the Carter administration which means I was there at the tail end and can still remember watching and listening to late ‘70s and early ‘80s country crossover stars like Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, Barbara Mandrell and her sisters, and, of course, Crystal Gayle. Like my next-door teenage babysitter at the time, Crystal Gayle had the longest, most beautiful hair- many women at the time wore it that way- and I think Crystal and my babysitter really influenced my attraction to a certain female look (ie. long, long, dark, straight hair). Did you know Crystal Gayle is the younger sister of Loretta Lynn? Man, I really need a haircut. Here are more of my favorite country songs. Enjoy- and hang in there!

Dedicated to John Prine


01. The Byrds – “Lay Lady Lay (Alternative Version)” (1969)
02. George Jones – “She Thinks I Still Care” (1962)
03. The Cactus Blossoms – “Stoplight Kisses” (2016)
04. Jeffrey Foucault – “Lodi” (2004)
05. Crystal Gayle – “Don’t It Make My Brown Eyes Blue” (1977)
06. Patsy Cline – “Sweet Dreams” (1963)
07. Steep Canyon Rangers – “Let Me Die in My Footsteps” (2018)
08. John Prine – “Long Monday” (2005)
09. Crystal Gayle and Tom Waits – “Take Me Home” (1982)
10. Sammi Smith – “Help Me Make It Through the Night” (1970)
11. Turnpike Troubadours – “7&7” (2010)
12. Jim Reeves – “He’ll Have to Go” (1959)
13. Artists of Then, Now & Forever – “Forever Country” (2016)



Listen to the playlist on Spotify...





... or check out the playlist on YouTube

(To open music in separate window, click title bar at top of video box)






No comments:

Post a Comment