Thursday, June 11, 2020

In Praise of Sunshine Pop II

It makes sense that during tough times we not only look back and remember the good times but also seek respite and escape from the ceaseless, daily problems associated with our human existence. For me, a good dose of sunshine pop is usually just what the doctor ordered and can help to soothe and fill me with feelings and memories of childhood happiness, innocence, and contentment.


But even sunshine pop usually contains twinges of sadness and wistfulness- just like childhood- and while many writers have tried to explain sunshine pop’s appeal through words, it is probably a pointless endeavor- like trying to explain the beauty of a tree in summer. Good sunshine pop is hard to find. Here are more of my favorites. So grab your harpsichord and picnic blanket- and enjoy!


01. The Arbors – “I Can’t Quit Her/For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her” (1969)
02. Sagittarius – “Song to the Magic Frog (Will You Ever Know)” (1968)
03. The Yellow Balloon – “Stained Glass Window” (1967)
04. The Association – “Never My Love” (1967)
05. The Left Banke – “Walk Away RenĂ©e” (1966)
06. The Mamas and the Papas – “Safe in My Garden” (1968)
07. The Left Banke – “She May Call You Up Tonight” (1967)
08. The Sunshine Company – “Back on the Street Again” (1967)
09. Roger Nichols & the Small Circle of Friends – “Didn’t Want to Have to Do It” (1968)
10. Sidewalk Skipper Band – “Cynthia at the Garden” (1968)
11. The Peppermint Trolley Company – “Baby You Come Rollin' Across My Mind” (1968)
12. The Mamas and the Papas – “Look Through My Window” (1967)
13. The Mamas and the Papas – “No Salt on Her Tail” (1966)
14. The Association – “P.F. Sloan” (1971)
15. The Peppermint Rainbow – “And I’ll Be There” (1969)
16. The Association – “Birthday Morning” (1966)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...



... or check out the playlist on YouTube

(To open music in separate window, click title bar at top of video box)


No comments:

Post a Comment