Thursday, April 13, 2017

In Praise of Sunshine Pop

As a man who appreciates good pop melodies and lush vocal harmonies, I have become enamored over the past five years by a ‘60s musical genre known as sunshine pop. Some of it is bad, to be sure, but there are some real pop gems to be found among the slop. Back in high school I was the singer for a suburban punk band but I never lost my taste for catchy pop melodies. Perhaps I was just another pop punk singer trying to play punk yet powerless to shake my pop roots; such is the power of pop.


To me sunshine pop is childhood, driving around with my mom listening to AM radio or lying in the grass beneath a tree on a warm spring day as sunlight shimmers through the leaves. If I could go back in time to my high school days then I would quit the punk scene, find some pretty hippie girls, and teach us to harmonize. After all, real talent seems to be the only thing that lasts. Enjoy the sunshine!


01. The Mamas and the Papas – “Twelve Thirty (Young Girls Are Coming to the Canyon” (1967)
02. The Peppermint Rainbow – “Will You Be Staying After Sunday” (1969)
03. The Peppermint Rainbow – “Pink Lemonade” (1969)
04. The Association – “Windy” (1967)
05. The Mamas and the Papas – “My Heart Stood Still” (1966)
06. The 5th Dimension – “Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In (The Flesh Failures)” (1969)
07. The Mamas and the Papas – “Go Where You Wanna Go” (1966)
08. Harpers Bizarre – “Witchi Tai To” (1969)
09. The Association – “The Time It Is Today” (1968)
10. The Association – “Everything That Touches You” (1968)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...  



Recommended Links:

Mad Men - Final Scene

Monterey Pop

No comments:

Post a Comment