Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Soul by the Dozen IX

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
This is the ninth installment in my Soul by the Dozen series which means there are at least 100 soul songs I really dig. Interestingly, with the exception of the Beastie Boys, I have very few rap/hip-hop songs in my music collection which could mean music is less about race and more about taste. I don’t have any death metal, either. From my soul to yours, here are some of my soul favorites. Enjoy!


01. Dobie Gray – “Drift Away” (1973)
02. Aretha Franklin – “The House That Jack Built” (1968)
03. Sam Dees – “Child of the Streets” (1975)
04. Stevie Wonder – “Heaven Is 10 Zillion Light Years Away” (1974)
05. Marvin Gaye – “What’s Going On” (1971)
06. Martha and the Vandellas – “Dancing in the Street” (1964)
07. Martha and the Vandellas – “Jimmy Mack” (1966)
08. Martha and the Vandellas – “Heat Wave” (1963)
09. Billy Stewart – “Summertime” (1966)
10. Al Green – “God Is Standing By” (1971)
11. Leona Lewis – “Run” (2008)
12. Marvin Gaye – “God Is Love” (1971)

Martha and the Vandellas


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...



... or check out the playlist on YouTube

(To open music in separate window, click title bar at top of video box)


No comments:

Post a Comment