Monday, May 15, 2017

Soul by the Dozen

I prefer songs to albums. Songs are cheaper, for one thing, and there are bad albums with only one or two good songs. Why would I buy a bad album just to get one or two good songs? That’s why they invented greatest hits compilations- that's why people cherry-pick and make playlists- that's why we have DJs. There are now online music streaming services which allow you to listen to entire albums for free and perhaps this will allow people like me to rediscover the art of the album. 

James Brown

Anyway, I have collected lots of individual songs over the years but organizing and storing them can be a challenge. So, for the past year or so, I have been trying to clean up my music files and this has led to some wonderful discoveries. I had forgotten how much I enjoy soul music- Motown, funk, retro, R&B- you name it, I dig it. These twelve songs were homeless but now have a home on this brief but jam-packed soul mix- and they sound really great together. Enjoy!

James Brown and Mick Jagger

01. Noisettes – “Never Forget You” (2009)
02. Sly & the Family Stone – “M’Lady” (1968)
03. The Supremes – “I’m Livin’ in Shame” (1969)
04. The Impressions – “People Get Ready” (1965)
05. James Brown – “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World (Live)” (1969)
06. Bobby Byrd – “Back from the Dead” (1974)
07. Noisettes – “24 Hours” (2009)
08. Fontella Bass – “Oh, No, Not My Baby” (1966)
09. Donny Hathaway – “Jealous Guy (Live)” (1971)
10. Arthur Alexander – “Anna (Go to Him)” (1962)
11. Doris Duke – “I Don’t Care Anymore (I’m a Loser)” (1969)
12. James Brown – “That’s Life” (1969)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...  



Recommended Links:

James Brown's Greatest Dance Moves

No comments:

Post a Comment