Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Oscar Duty

There once was a time in the weeks leading up to the Oscars when I would go to the movies- often alone- to dutifully watch the nominated films. Those days are gone but- as a film buff- I recently felt it my duty to watch the 2021 Best Picture winner Nomadland. Entering movies with low expectations usually serves me well and- despite its secular worldview as well as my fear and distrust of drifters and the American West- Nomadland was better than expected. In fact, I’m certain Nomadland- a movie of the times- will be regarded years from now as something special in the history of filmmaking (and it makes me want to revisit Michelangelo Antonioni’s Red Desert of which I thankfully own a copy).


Not that Nomadland is earth shattering or life changing- it isn’t. In fact, the story could just as easily have been told in a PBS documentary or 60 Minutes segment. And while it does not provide any answers, Nomadland is perhaps the most recent example of what can happen when someone attempts personal filmmaking with thoughtful cinematography and care. The short burst editing style of scenes- perhaps in response to the short attention spans of contemporary viewers- at first turned me off, but I eventually got used to it. I’ll be interested to see if ChloĆ© Zhao’s next movie- another one of those Marvel superheroes blockbuster flicks- will be as personal and well cared for as Nomadland. Grade: B+




No comments:

Post a Comment