Friday, May 21, 2021

Sing the Body Electric

Encompassing everything from house to techno, trip-hop to trance (none of which I’ve ever really understood, by the way), electronic music was big in the ‘90s in New York and around the world. At that time, a few electronic CD albums- Björk, UNKLE, Moby- found their way into my collection though back then I did not consider or care what genres these artists represented. I just liked the music. 

Björk

During my first year as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Bulgaria in 1999, my musical tastes began to broaden. I recall sitting alone on the floor of my Black Sea apartment wrapping Christmas gifts for my family back in the States and enjoying Vangelis’ El Greco. While often associated with DJs and clubs, most of my favorite electronic music drips with humanity and supplies appropriate sounds to accompany me through long, soul searching nights far from home, or entertain guests as I shoot darts with them in my Bulgarian bachelor pad. Here are some of my favorite electronic songs. Enjoy!


01. Björk – “It’s Oh So Quiet” (1995)
02. Vangelis – “El Greco: Movement V” (1995) 
03. Björk – “Like Someone in Love” (1993)
04. Moby feat. Mimi Goese – “When It’s Cold I’d Like to Die” (1995)
05. Moby – “Porcelain” (1999)
06. UNKLE feat. Richard Ashcroft – “Lonely Soul” (1998)
07. Björk – “Hyperballad” (1995)
08. Neu! – “Isi” (1975)
09. Fatboy Slim – “Praise You” (1999)
10. Moby – “Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad?” (1999)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...



No comments:

Post a Comment