Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Alternative Grab Bag IV – Part 5

The ‘90s was a period of great change for alternative music and as many of its artists shot to the top of the charts- and the record companies pillaged what was left of the “underground” music scene- I felt hurt, angry, and confused by the ending of the precious “scene” to which I had given so much and which had changed my life. Cavemen who once bullied Goth kids were now wearing Nirvana t-shirts and metal bands were cutting their hair in order to appear more “alternative”. For most of the ‘90s I refused to have anything to do with this new alternative music circus which was- as the Clash had lamented and predicted 15 years earlier in “(White Man) in Hammersmith Palais”- “turning rebellion into money”.

blink-182

By decade’s end I began to loosen up and decided to let go of the anger. I joined the Peace Corps and while living overseas began enjoying all kinds of music including ‘90s alternative artists like Beck, blink-182, and Smashing Pumpkins- without shame or guilt. I was learning the world is not black and white and there is more to life than worrying about whether or not my favorite pop punk band is going to sign to a major label. I was growing up and would spend the next decade trying to catch up on all the alternative music I had missed during my angry years. Here are some more of my alternative faves. Enjoy!

Smashing Pumpkins

01. Mike Ness – “Don’t Think Twice” (1999)
02. The Divine Comedy – “Have You Ever Been in Love” (2010)
03. Nico – “I’ll Keep It with Mine” (1967)
04. blink-182 – “The Rock Show” (2001)
05. U2 – “Miracle Drug” (2004)
06. Jason & the Scorchers – “Absolutely Sweet Marie” (1983)
07. The Cure – “The Caterpillar” (1984)
08. Ramones – “My Back Pages” (1993)
09. Cat Power – “Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again” (2007)
10. The Smiths – “Ask” (1986)
11. Talking Heads – “(Nothing But) Flowers” (1988)
12. They Might Be Giants – “Electric Car” (2009)
13. Elvis Costello & The Imposters – “Everyday I Write the Book (Live)” (2011)
14. blink-182  - “First Date” (2001)
15. U2 – “Sometimes You Can’t Make It on Your Own (Live)” (2005)
16. Green Day – “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” (1997)
17. Smashing Pumpkins – “Perfect” (1998)
18. The Smiths – “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” (1986)
19. Smashing Pumpkins – “Tonight, Tonight” (1995)
20. The Smiths –  “Rubber Ring” (1985)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...



Recommended Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment