Thursday, March 14, 2019

Belfast Blues – Part 2

I first started exploring Van Morrison’s music in the mid ‘00s and my first stop was Moondance which I think is the ideal starting point for newcomers to Van’s music. Some have called Moondance a perfect album and it’s definitely much more accessible than Van’s previous album- Astral Weeks. Moondance is a jazzy, life affirming record that provides soulful fun and good vibes without insulting your intelligence.


Some years ago my housemate and I were hosting a summer backyard party. It was the end of the night and guests had started taking control of the music but nobody could agree on what album to play. Arguments were breaking out and the party seemed about to end when my housemate started playing my copy of Moondance and the crowd suddenly settled down and the party resumed. Such is the power of Moondance. For me the 1970 album remains Van Morrison’s finest hour (well, 38 minutes). Grade: A



Listen to the playlist on Spotify...



... or check out the playlist on YouTube

(To open music in separate window, click title bar at top of video box)


No comments:

Post a Comment