Saturday, March 16, 2019

Declan MacManus – Part 2

I first began listening to Elvis Costello’s music during my senior year of college when I somehow came into possession of a cassette tape copy of The Very Best of Elvis Costello and The Attractions which I must admit took some time but eventually grew on me. I introduced some friends to it while in my car on a road trip from Boston to New York and by the end of the album they too had become fans. For those wanting to learn more about Costello’s music, I would recommend starting with that fine compilation.


It was also during my senior year of college I started enjoying the Pogues and my respect for Elvis Costello increased when I learned he had produced the Pogues’ masterpiece Rum, Sodomy & the Lash (Costello even married the sole female member of the Pogues, Cait O’Riordan, in 1986). While normally not overtly political (he's obviously no fan of Margaret Thatcher), Costello knows how to bite- lyrically- and “Tramp the Dirt Down” may be one of the the best political/musical takedowns ever.


After college I entered graduate school in 1997 and All This Useless Beauty became one of my favorite albums from that period (which I consider my existentialist years). It’s been fun revisiting Elvis Costello’s music and it’s encouraging to know he’s still touring and making music (he married Canadian jazz singer Diana Krall in 2003). Here are some more of my favorite Elvis Costello songs. Enjoy!


01. Elvis Costello – “Tramp the Dirt Down” (1989)
02. Elvis Costello and the Attractions – “The Other End of the Telescope” (1996)
03. Elvis Costello & The Imposters – “American Gangster Time” (2008)
04. Elvis Costello – “My Funny Valentine” (1979)
05. Elvis Costello – “The Other Side of Summer” (1991)
06. Elvis Costello – ”Deep Dark Truthful Mirror” (1989)
07. Elvis Costello and the Attractions – “Girls Talk” (1980)
08. Elvis Costello and the Attractions – “Accidents Will Happen” (1979)
09. Elvis Costello and the Attractions – “Oliver’s Army” (1979)
10. Elvis Costello and the Attractions feat. Chet Baker – “Shipbuilding” (1983)



Listen to the playlist on Spotify...



Recommended Links:

Elvis Costello sets the record straight on his cancer scare

No comments:

Post a Comment