Friday, May 15, 2020

Oldies: Pass the Fritos VII – Part 2

Whether it’s film, history, religion, politics, or music, I’m all about seeking truth. By researching, going to the source, and tracing influences, I am much better able to make informed decisions and enhance my overall enjoyment of the experience. Thanks to radio, television (mostly PBS), and the public library, I knew the history of rock & roll from an early age. By my twenties, I already owned Little Richard, Chuck Berry, and Buddy Holly albums and while I didn’t listen to them often, I did listen to them- for enjoyment, yes, but also to build up my knowledge of music- which I dig- and learn how it all got started. For me, oldies is the key to understanding and appreciating modern popular music.

Buddy Holly

We all know who and how rock got started in the ‘50s (though fewer know how it almost didn’t survive after Little Richard gave up secular music to preach the gospel, Elvis Presley entered the army, Chuck Berry went to jail, and Buddy Holly died in a plane crash; but that was before the Beatles and the British Invasion came from across the Atlantic and saved the day). We all know who influenced John, Paul, George, and Ringo; but who influenced Richard, Elvis, Chuck, and Buddy? Those names are less well-known and probably lost to the mists of time. Unknown, too, are the names of the millions whose lives oldies music changed, inspired, and enriched. Oldies are old, yes, but also historic, fun, and still have a lot to offer us. Here are more of my favorite oldies songs including some ‘50s rock & roll. Enjoy!  

Dedicated to Little Richard

Little Richard

01. The Zombies – “She’s Not There” (1964)
02. Little Richard – “Keep A-Knockin’” (1957)
03. Chuck Berry – “Roll Over Beethoven” (1956)
04. The Monkees – “Daydream Believer”  (1967)
05. Small Faces – “All or Nothing” (1966)
06. The Balloon Farm – “A Question of Temperature” (1967)
07. The Human Beinz – “Nobody But Me” (1967)
08. The Ivy League – “Tossing and Turning” (1965)
09. Peter and Gordon – “I Go to Pieces” (1964)
10. Them – “My Lonely Sad Eyes” (1966)
11. Elvis Presley – “Long Legged Girl (With the Short Dress On)” (1967)
12. Buddy Holly – “Well…All Right” (1958)
13. The Clique – “Soul Mates” (1969)
14. Love – “Alone Again Or” (1967)
15. Bill Haley & His Comets – “Thirteen Women” (1954)
16. The Searchers – “Take Me for What I’m Worth” (1965)
17. The Crystals – “Da Doo Ron Ron” (1963)
18. The Crickets – “It’s So Easy” (1958)
19. The Coasters – “Poison Ivy” (1959)
20. Little Richard – “Tutti Frutti” (1955)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...

 


Recommended Links:




No comments:

Post a Comment