Friday, May 29, 2020

Play It Again, Jean III – Part 2


“Everything will be okay in the end. If it’s not okay, it’s not the end.” 
– John Lennon

Ringo Starr

01. The Love Affair – “Everlasting Love” (1968) from Oldies: Pass the Fritos VI – Part 1
I grew up hearing the Carl Carlton version on the radio; then discovered the U2 version years later; and only recently discovered this ‘60s version by the Love Affair. I love the way this song just jumps out of the speakers and pulls me onto the dance floor. Is this the first disco song?

02. The Gants – “My Baby Don’t Care” (1965) from Oldies: Pass the Fritos VI – Part 2
Mississippi’s best (only?) ‘60s garage rock band. Simple, direct, universal- you can almost see the singer’s sneer as well as the bored looking girls watching and hoping they’ll play a Beatles song.

03. John Prine – “Long Monday” (2005) from Country Grab Bag IV
I was sorry to hear that after 50 years of making music, John Prine- the former mailman- died in April from COVID-19. Half his ashes were spread on his favorite river where he spent summers as a kid; the other half will be buried with his mom and dad.

04. Crystal Gayle and Tom Waits – “Take Me Home” (1982) from Country Grab Bag IV
“I’m so sorry that I broke your heart.” I have had my heart broken before, but I never got to hear those healing words (that probably would have helped take years off my recovery time).

05. Ringo Starr – “Photograph” (1973) from Classic Rock: Choice Cuts VI
Another song of heartbreak, but Ringo has a way of somehow turning it into a feel good song.


06. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers – “Walls (Circus)” (1996) from Classic Rock: Choice Cuts VI
“Some days are diamonds- some days are rocks.” Yes, that's Lindsey Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac on backing vocals. I checked.

07. Richard Harris – “Paper Chase” (1968) from Oldies: Pass the Fritos VII – Part 1
Irish dramatic actor decides to try his luck at music; gives it his all; and finds success. There is just enough charm, whimsy, and good music here for me to enjoy this song unironically (and the harpsichord doesn’t hurt, either). BTW- I think a paper chase is some English version of hide-and-seek. It’s also the title of one of my favorite movies (1973) about a Harvard law student’s coming of age.

08. The Searchers – “Take Me for What I’m Worth” (1965) from Oldies: Pass the Fritos VII – Part 2
Written by American songwriter P.F. Sloan, by 1965 rock lyrics were finally starting to break new ground (thanks to Bob Dylan) and the Searchers (from Liverpool) knew a good song when they found it.

09. Guided by Voices – “Game of Pricks” (1995) from Alternative Grab Bag VI – Part 1
Long known for creating lo-fi mini-epics, I tried getting into GBV in college but found their music too weird and indecipherable, though every once in a while they would throw out a catchy anthem like this gem. I know just a few chords on the guitar but “Game of Pricks” sounds like it would be fun to play.


10. The Plimsouls – “Now (Live)” (1983) from Alternative Grab Bag VI – Part 1

Power pop underdogs who just came along at the wrong time to ever make it big. This song rocks!

11. Fountains of Wayne – “Stacy’s Mom” (2003) from Alternative Grab Bag VI – Part 1
Power pop one hit wonder almost missed making the Jean’s final cut this year. But then I listened to how passionately and convincingly the band sings near the end of the song: “Stacy’s mom, oh-ohhhh, Stacy’s mom, oh-ohhhh,” and I just had to include it. I was sorry to hear the song’s co-writer, Adam Schlesinger, died in April from COVID-19.

12. NOFX – “Please Play This Song on the Radio” (1992) from
Alternative Grab Bag VI – Part 2
I’m not sure if precious is the right word for this song, but it always puts a smile on my face.

13. Minor Threat – “Seeing Red” (1981) from Alternative Grab Bag VI – Part 2
These guys came out of nowhere (Arlington, VA and DC) in 1980 and soon inspired hardcore imitators all over the world. But their sound was so unique and intense- there was no one else like them. In middle school, I used to carry a little tape recorder wherever I went playing Minor Threat songs.

Lou Reed

14. The Living End – “Who’s Gonna Save Us?” (2003) from Alternative Grab Bag VI – Part 2
Another song that almost didn’t make the final cut- but I decided to include it. I feel this song did not get the love it deserved when it was first released in 2003 (by Australians, no less). As a pop punk song, it’s slicker than grease, but also has a timeless message for when things go bad and there is an absence of strong leadership. I need someone to explain to me why the COVID-19 death toll in the United States is so much higher than in other countries. At best, our national response during this American tragedy has been unacceptable and people should demand answers.

15. Tracy Chapman – “The Times They Are a-Changin’ (Live)” (1992) from Bob’s Birthday Bash III – Part 1
I saw Tracy live at Wolf Trap in Virginia some years ago. She is a great performer and takes this Dylan song and just owns it. Perhaps this song is just another way of saying “The more things change, the more they stay the same.” Some French guy said that.

16. Lou Reed – “Satellite of Love” (1972) from Alternative Grab Bag VI – Part 2
This was my song in the summer of ’92- don’t ask me why- but it sounded great while driving around Long Island with the windows rolled down. Not many artists besides my fellow Islander Lou Reed could get away with song lyrics like “I like to watch things on TV”. More songs like this, please!

The Beatles

17. The Beatles – “Octopus’ Garden” (1969) from The Love You Make
The other three Beatles always seemed to be having the most fun when working on songs for Ringo who actually wrote this one himself after vacationing on a boat in Sardinia.

18. Cecilia Bartoli, György Fischer – “Vivaldi: Sposa son disprezzata” (1992) from Classical Music Faves III
I first heard this song on an episode of The Sopranos. I don’t know what she’s saying, but it’s beautiful- though she doesn’t seem happy. “Sposa son disprezzata” in Italian means “I am wife and I am scorned.”


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...

 


Recommended Links:

Donovan & Crystal Gayle – “Catch the Wind (Live)”


No comments:

Post a Comment