Saturday, July 18, 2020

Easy Does It V

While easy listening didn’t survive the ‘80s, I have childhood memories of my paternal grandfather- a veteran of World War II- listening to and enjoying his easy listening radio station with its soothing instrumental covers of hit songs. After retiring to Florida, grandpa led an Alcoholics Anonymous group that also used the phrase “Easy Does It”. Perhaps what I like best about vocal/easy listening music is it serves a purpose by providing listeners a calming oasis in what can be a rough world.


I’ve recently discovered the Frank Chacksfield Orchestra but am confused on when these songs were recorded. Chacksfield died in the ‘90s but has someone since then trademarked his name and released new albums under the Chacksfield moniker? Anyway, I’m a sucker for any music that can take me on an imaginary trip around the globe without leaving home. My family and I are moving to the Caribbean this summer and I imagine I’ll be exploring more Harry Belafonte albums in the coming months. Until then, here are some of my favorite vocal/easy listening songs- including some Calypso. Enjoy!


01. Frank Chacksfield Orchestra – “Marakesh Express” (Unknown)
02. Esquivel! – “Misirlou” (1959)
03. Frank Sinatra – “I Would Be in Love (Anyway)” (1970)
04. Carpenters – “Superstar”(1971)
05. Maureen McGovern – “The Morning After” (1972)
06. Harry Belafonte – “Jamaica Farewell” (1956)
07. Frank Chacksfield Orchestra – “J’Attendrai” (Unknown)
08. George Martin – “The Beatle Suite” (1974)
09. Harry Belafonte – “Angelina” (1961)
10. Carpenters – “Rainy Days and Mondays” (1971)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...



No comments:

Post a Comment