Saturday, December 24, 2022

New Faves 12/10/2022 – Part 2

Among my most recent favorite musical discoveries are obscure ‘60s sunshine pop tunes that hit that sweet spot between catchy Mamas and Papas imitation and teeny bopper psychedelic. If I had one hour to spend in an independent record store, I would start at any section marked ‘60s sunshine pop and make time for any album covers hinting at ‘60s baroque pop. I’m also partial to groovy cover versions of familiar songs- always have been- so long as the artist puts their own original stamp on it. When I was the singer in our high school punk band, Twinkie Force, the other members used to bristle at my cover requests and want us to focus instead on our original material which, of course, has been lost to time. But a good cover version can stand the test of time- and even outdo the original.


The days of spinning vinyl in your basement on rainy days and holding album artwork in your hands are over, as are the days of any broad-based popular consensus on what songs deserve to be called hits. Then again, the magical age of ‘60s rock music, while influential, also began to implode as soon as people began to take rock music seriously, write articles and books about it, and take drugs (society is still living with the ruinous results). Perhaps that is why I am attracted to more under the radar music that does not take itself too seriously but respects my time and intelligence, feeds my imagination, and stirs my spirit- even if it is only for three minutes. And music that can do all that is hard to find. Enjoy more of my new faves!


01. Pixies – “Dregs of the Wine” (2022)
02. David McWilliams – “I Love Susie in the Summer” (1967)
03. Glen Campbell – “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” (2008)
04. Cliff Richard and the Shadows – “In the Country” (1966)
05. The Divine Comedy – “Norman and Norma” (2019)
06. Xavier Cugat – “Perfidia” (1941) 
07. Glen Campbell – “Times Like These” (2008)
08. Margo Guryan – “Someone I Know” (1968)
09. 3's a Crowd – “I Don't Want to Drive You Away” (1968)
10. The New Wave – “The Shade of the Sun” (1967)
11. Angel Pavement – “Green Mello Hill” (1969)
12. Journey – “Any Way You Want It (Live)” (2021)
13. The Divine Comedy – “Mother Dear” (2006)
14. The Beautiful South – “Don't Fear the Reaper” (2004)
15. Blondie – “I Love You Honey, Give Me a Beer (Go Through It)” (1980)
16. The Everly Brothers – “Milk Train” (1968)
17. Pulp – “Whiskey in the Jar (Live)” (1995)
18. The Beautiful South – “You're the One That I Want” (2004)
19. Franck: “Panis Angelicus” – Sissel, The Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square (2022)
20. David Bowie – “Modern Love (Moonage Daydream Mix)” (2022)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...



... or check out the playlist on YouTube

(To open music in separate window, click title bar at top of video box)



Recommended Links:





No comments:

Post a Comment