Sunday, February 11, 2018

Motown Faves

I often recall a line from a movie where this old woman is giving advice to a young man and tells him life is like a football game- you have to reach out, take a chance, get hurt even. But play as well as you can. Otherwise, you got nothing to talk about in the locker room. I think for many people Motown music conjures up images of childhood, first loves, and weddings but for me Motown music means heartache. My favorite Motown songs have always been there for me when I was low and suffering from a broken heart and sometimes it can actually feel good to just hurt, cry, and let it all out. It was usually the sadder Motown songs which gave me the most comfort since I believed the men and women singing them had been there too and I was not alone in my confusion, disappointment, and pain.

Diana Ross

Broken hearts and disappointment are a part of life- and so is classic Motown music. Maybe listening to Motown music feels good because it reminds us we are not alone in our joy and our pain. After I went through a bad break up some years ago it was country music, Frank Sinatra, and Motown that helped nurse me back to life. The best of Motown music knows no gender, class, or race- it’s just good, human music and the best of it stands the test of time because the feelings the songs express are real and true. Here are some of my favorite Motown songs. Enjoy!

Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell

01. Jimmy Ruffin – “What Becomes of the Brokenhearted” (1966)
02. Gladys Knight & the Pips – “Neither One of Us (Wants to Be the First to Say Goodbye)” (1972)
03. Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell – “You’re All I Need to Get By” (1968)
04. David Ruffin – “My Whole World Ended (The Moment You Left Me)” (1969)
05. Diana Ross – “Touch Me in the Morning” (1973)
06. Diana Ross – “Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You’re Going To)” (1975)
07. Gladys Knight & the Pips – “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” (1967)
08. The Isley Brothers – “This Old Heart of Mine (Is Weak for You)” (1966)
09. Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell – “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” (1967)
10. The Temptations – “I Wish It Would Rain” (1967)
11. The Contours – “Do You Love Me” (1962)
12. The Jackson 5 – “I’ll Be There” (1970)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify... 




Recommended Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment