Sunday, May 14, 2017

New Country

As a Yankee punk rocker growing up on Long Island, I had limited exposure to country music- but then I moved down to Virginia in 2001 and was suddenly surrounded by it. At first I fought against it but soon I found myself exploring and enjoying all branches of country music. It was just before 9/11- still the golden age of new country radio: Martina McBride, Brooks & Dunn, Dixie Chicks- and I was living just down the road from the Pentagon where new country was to northern Virginia as classic rock was to Long Island.

Dixie Chicks

While it has its roots in traditional country music, new country (or contemporary country) incorporates more pop and even rock elements to create a slicker, more urban sound yet stays true to traditional country’s styling and storytelling. For me, new country radio reached its zenith just after 9/11 and then started going downhill fast as the formula got beaten to death and the songs became really dumbed down. There is still respectable contemporary country to be found these days- you just have to know where to look for it- or just get lucky. Here are some of my new country favorites. Enjoy!

Martina McBride

01. Alan Jackson – “Remember When” (2003)
02. Dixie Chicks – “There’s Your Trouble” (1998)
03. Clare Bowen & Sam Palladio – “I Will Fall [Studio Version]” (2012)
04. The Band Perry – “If I Die Young” (2010)
05. Martina McBride – “Independence Day” (1993)
06. Dixie Chicks – “You Were Mine” (1998)
07. Darius Rucker – “Wagon Wheel” (2013) 
08. Dixie Chicks – “Travelin’ Soldier” (2002)
09. Martina McBride & Pat Monahan – “Marry Me” (2011)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...  



Recommended Links:



No comments:

Post a Comment