Saturday, April 9, 2022

Chapel of Unrequited Love – Part 1

I first heard Superchunk (from Chapel Hill, North Carolina) in the early ‘90s after purchasing the cassette version of their fiery singles compilation Tossing Seeds from my local independent record store on Long Island- Middle Earth Records. From their start in the late ‘80s- when the American punk and hardcore music scenes were all but dead- Superchunk followed the indie, do-it-yourself aesthetic and the band’s founding members, Mac and Laura, still own and operate their own independent record label, Merge Records, which over the years has released nearly every Superchunk album (and, in one form or another, I have purchased all of them- over a dozen). Support independent labels and record stores!


Superchunk’s philosophy and music fit the bill for what I was experiencing in my late teens including partying in the underground while also suffering the exquisite sting of unrequited love. As I entered my 20s, college life became a real drag for me and I spent many nights alone in my room reflecting and trying to express myself through writing while listening to Superchunk. As the ‘90s came to a close, Superchunk’s music grew more daring, including horns, but by the early ‘00s I had moved on. After the misfire of 2001’s Here’s to Shutting Up, the band went on a decade long album hiatus before returning in 2010 with the triumphant Majesty Shredding, a gift to long time fans confirming we had been right all along to like Superchunk- and they are still going! Here are some of my favorites. Enjoy! 


01. Superchunk – “My Gap Feels Weird” (2010)
02. Superchunk – “Under Our Feet” (1997)
03. Superchunk – “On the Mouth” (1991)
04. Superchunk – “If You’re Not Dark” (2022)
05. Superchunk – “Crossed Wires” (2010)
06. Superchunk – “Lost My Brain” (2018)
07. Superchunk – “100,000 Fireflies” (1992)
08. Superchunk – “What a Time to Be Alive” (2018)
09. Superchunk – “Pulled Muscle” (1999)
10. Superchunk – “The Popular Music” (1997)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...



... or check out the playlist on YouTube

(To open music in separate window, click title bar at top of video box)



No comments:

Post a Comment