Saturday, April 23, 2022

Play It Again, Jean V – Part 2

“I used to go after a song, seek it out. But now, instead of going to it, I stay where I am and let everything disappear and the song rushes to me . . . What I’m doing now you can’t learn by studying; you can’t copy it.” 
– Bob Dylan, November 1965 

Bob Dylan

01. They Might Be Giants – “Tesla” (2013) from Playlist: What’s the Alternative?
I dig this two-minute musical biography. But why not a whole album featuring other historical figures?

02. 80 Drums Around the World – “Caravan” (1961) from The Easy Way
One of the first albums I recall listening to as a kid in our basement was Disney’s It’s a Small World. Ever since, I’ve had a thing for exotica, atlases, and dusty old records that can teleport me to other worlds.

03. Stephen Stills and Judy Collins – “Girl from the North Country” (2018) from New Faves 05/31/2021
Two ‘60s lovers (yes, that’s Judy Blue Eyes) reunite in their seventies to cover a Dylan song which sounds like it was written in the nineteenth century. No complaints. (Note: I thought Stills had followed Neil Young’s lead and removed all his music from Spotify.)

04. Bob Dylan – “Subterranean Homesick Blues” (1965) from Playlist: Blue Jean Rock Poets
Blues? Rock? Country? Folk? Imagine how mind blowing and confusing this song must have been for listeners in 1965. Perhaps the nearest I’ve experienced in my own lifetime was when I first heard Public Enemy’s “Bring The Noise” circa 1987. This song makes Beck seem like the Backstreet Boys.


05. The Beatles – “For No One” (1966) from Playlist: Four Guys from Liverpool
Not only were artists like Bob Dylan and the Beatles revolutionizing popular music (and the world) in the ‘60s, they were doing so at a fast and furious pace, working hard, writing, and churning out timeless songs in hours and days. Meanwhile, it takes today’s musicians months and even years to come up with just one good tune. What Dylan and the Beatles had in common was they paid their dues and honed their crafts for years in front of live audiences before striking gold. Are there any musical wunderkinds today breaking new artistic ground? Have we reached the end of human history?

06. Charlie Parker – “April in Paris” (1957) from Playlist: Jean’s Jazz: Smells Good II
The older I get the more jazz music relaxes my brain and body and helps remove stress- especially during traffic jams. 

07. Dinosaur Jr. – “Lost All Day” (2016) from Get Over It – Part 2
Of course one worries a new album from an old band is just a ploy to advertise their next oldies tour. The only song that caught my attention on 2016’s Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not, this song does that old DJ trick of being both heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time. Sounds almost country to me.


08. Stephen Malkmus – “Jenny & the Ess Dog” (2001) from Playlist: What’s the Alternative? III
A nifty, bittersweet May to December short story in under three minutes. Poor Ess Dog. Love hurts. More songs like this, please!

09. The Neon Philharmonic – “Morning Girl, Later” (1969) from Playlist: Oldies: Pass the Fritos
Another love affair that didn’t work out- but resulted in some great music. This song always makes me a bit misty eyed. Such is the power of love- and strings. Listen to that bass! This is baroque pop gold.

10. Antônio Carlos Jobim – “Antigua” (1967) from Latin Lite
I first heard this album through fellow Peace Corps Volunteers in Bulgaria. I like the mix of Latin and baroque pop stylings. The creepy harpsichord reminds me of those late ‘60s and early ‘70s NBC television shows like Columbo and Night Gallery. Pour yourself a drink.


11. Peter, Paul, and Mary – “Blowin’ in the Wind” (1963) from Playlist: Bob’s Birthday Bash
Another “timeless folk song” from Dylan. I recently read the latest biography, The Double Life of Bob Dylan, and found it mildly entertaining bedtime reading. As Dylan has said about the period in New York when he wrote and first performed “Blowin’ in the Wind”: “They were trying to build me up as a topical songwriter. I was never a topical songwriter.” PP&M made some great music- and made Dylan rich.

12. Superchunk – “Learned to Surf” (2010) from Teenager Music to Save the Planet
Superchunk tackles the climate crisis and that moment in life when one gets tired of being pushed around- and finally starts pushing back. Mac is on fire in this one!

13. 2002 – “Summer of 300 Years” (1998) from Whales, Wizards, and Angels
Time to bring things down a notch. This song makes me feel like I am floating underwater in the bluest ocean. I stopped swimming- and learned to float.


14. Kate Wolf – “Across the Great Divide (Live)” (Unknown) from Playlist: Folkies II
I love Kate Wolf’s singing and I give permission to have this song played at my funeral. Recorded live in Mendocino in the  late ‘70s or early ‘80s, it just makes me feel happy and alive and brings back pleasant memories of a road trip some Peace Corps buddies and I took through Northern California in 2011 to attend a friend’s wedding. 

15. The Beatles – “Let It Be” (1970) from Teenager Music to Save the Planet
While in the Peace Corps, I taught this song to my Bulgarian students who then performed it in front of our entire summer school. It was not until later that a Bulgarian teacher told me “Let It Be” has great historical significance for Bulgarians as it was used as an anthem by the democratic forces trying to overthrow decades of Communist oppression. Well, they did it!


16. Robert Knight – “Everlasting Love” (1967) from New Faves 04/01/2022
Having grown up knowing only the Carl Carlton and U2 versions, I then discovered the awesome Love Affair version a few years ago. Now, I have this- the original recording. The song has been a hit for different artists through four decades. Anyone want to record an updated version?

17. The Beatles – “Good Day Sunshine” (1966) from Playlist: Channeling AM Pop
A musical genius and songwriting machine, Paul McCartney could compose a bleak, universal breakup number like “For No One” and then minutes later roll out a happy, little love song about summertime. No wonder the other three Beatles grew to resent him. By the time of the recording of “Let It Be”, McCartney was running the show.

Leonard Cohen

18. Adiemus – “Hymn” (1995) from Whales, Wizards, and Angels
A friend turned me onto Adiemus years ago. Makes for great, soothing body massage music.

19. Leonard Cohen – “Passing Through (Live)” (1972) from New Faves 05/31/2021
A folk song to please the theologian and historian in me. Favorite line: “I was at Franklin Roosevelt’s side on the night before he died. He said: ‘One world must come out of World War 2.” Leonard Cohen in the ‘70s looks a lot like my maternal grandfather!

20. Katia Buniatishvili – “Bach: No. 9, Schafe können sicher weiden (Arr. for Piano)” – (2014) from Playlist: Classical Faves
Translated from German: “Sheep May Safely Graze”. No matter how much classical music I discover, I always seem to come back to Bach.

FDR and Fala

“The truth is found when men are free to pursue it. ” 
– Franklin D. Roosevelt 


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment