Thursday, January 4, 2018

Emo/Hardcore!

To me hardcore music was harder and more aggressive sounding than punk and was perhaps best personified by one straightedge hardcore band from Washington, D.C.- Minor Threat- who inspired hundreds if not thousands of imitator bands before calling it quits in 1983. Our nation’s capital was also home to Rites of Spring- a band who some call the first emo group. In 1987, Guy Picciotto- the singer for Rites of Spring- and Ian MacKaye- the singer for Minor Threat- joined forces in a new band- Fugazi- and, in just a couple of years, Fugazi turned the hardcore world upside down and ushered in the post-hardcore era. (Though they never officially broke up, Fugazi has been on indefinite hiatus since 2003.)

Fugazi / Guy Picciotto

Whether they know it or not, most of the emo/hardcore bands who came after them can trace their sounds directly back to Minor Threat, Rites of Spring, or Fugazi. Growing up on Long Island, I was a big hardcore music fan and as a student in junior high school the songs and ideas of Minor Threat and Fugazi had a huge impact on me by encouraging me to ask questions and inspiring my own art. Much of the early hardcore music I loved as a kid has not aged well but some songs- especially by Minor Threat and Fugazi- still manage to get my blood flowing. There are even some more recent hardcore and emo bands whose music gets me pumped, and- dare I say it- emotional. Here are some of my favorite emo/hardcore songs. Enjoy!

Fugazi / Ian MacKaye

01. Taking Back Sunday – “A Decade Under the Influence” (2004)
02. Alkaline Trio – “Jaked on Green Beers” (2002)
03. Minor Threat – “Straight Edge” (1981)
04. Fugazi – “Waiting Room” (1988)
05. Dag Nasty – “All Ages Show” (1987)
06. Fugazi – “Do You Like Me” (1995)
07. Fugazi – “Repeater” (1990)
08. Circle Jerks – “Fortunate Son” (1987)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify... 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment