Saturday, February 24, 2018

Oldies: Pass the Fritos II

I grew up listening to oldies music and my first album purchase as a kid was a groovy compilation- The Monkees' Greatest Hits. But it wasn’t until I was a college senior that I purchased my first proper oldies album- The Beach Boys’ Pet Sounds- which helped start my transition from pop punk and indie rock back into popular music. In the early 2000s I began purchasing online music and- for economic reasons- I usually chose to download songs instead of albums (many of these songs were oldies). 

The Turtles

Soon I had lots of great oldies tracks and started making and burning my own oldies compilation CDs. A few years later I purchased my first iPod- which made it easier to listen to music- and there was no more need for burning discs. The technology may change through the years but the oldies remain and much of it stills sounds good half a century later- even the sad songs give me a warm, happy feeling and serve to comfort and inspire me. Here are some of my favorite oldies songs. Enjoy!

The Left Banke

01. Friend & Lover – “Reach Out of the Darkness” (1967)
02. The Beach Boys – “God Only Knows” (1966)
03. The Partridge Family – “I Woke Up in Love This Morning” (1971)
04. The Zombies – “This Will Be Our Year” (1968)
05. The Left Banke – “Pretty Ballerina” (1966)
06. Sonny & Cher – “I Got You Babe” (1965)
07. Bobby Sherman – “Julie, Do Ya Love Me” (1970)
08. The Left Banke – “She May Call You Up Tonight” (1967)
09. Nancy Sinatra – “You Only Live Twice (Main Title)” (1967)
10. The Turtles – “Lady-O” (1969)
11. The Turtles – “Is It Any Wonder” (1967)
12. The Left Banke – “Walk Away RenĂ©e” (1966)
13. The Turtles – “She’ll Come Back”  (1966)
14. The Mamas and the Papas – “Dancing in the Street” (1966)
15. The Zombies – “Brief Candles” (1968)
16. Gary Lewis & the Playboys – “Girls in Love” (1967)
17. Roy Orbison – “She’s a Mystery to Me” (1989)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...


No comments:

Post a Comment