Friday, February 16, 2018

Twinkie Force 101: Influences – Part 4

In the summer of '92 Twinkie Force was on a roll and it was around this time we recorded what I felt was our greatest song- the psychedelic epic “Crack House Barbecue”. If we had had just a few more months together then I believe we could have recorded an amazing album of TF songs. But it was not to be. In the fall of '92, Rich, Toast, and I went off to college (Mike was still only 15 years old) and the future of the band was in doubt. After one miserable semester at college, I returned home to Long Island where I found the local music scene still active. Twinkie Force had never officially broken up but without Rich and Toast around I decided to start a new band. Hercules Was a Wimp (with Mike on drums) was great fun- and the kids really liked us- but I think my heart was still with TF.

Screeching Weasel

The final TF show (I think) was in June 1993 at Buttstock (a hometown backyard music festival with local bands) where I performed with both Hercules Was a Wimp and Twinkie Force. I guess it was fitting that TF finish where we had started- at a raucous backyard bash- and the crowd loved us. But after four years together in Twinkie Force- and even longer as friends- Toast and I were beginning to pursue separate interests. He was off at college making new friends and I was living at home, attending a local university, and delivering pizza. I carried on making music with Mike and other friends but nothing ever reached the fun and craziness of Twinkie Force. By the mid-‘90s, I was a man without a band.

Bad Religion

In spring 1997, Twinkie Force reunited to play a college house party in upstate New York where I was surprised to find we still had chemistry and the crowd still loved us. An impromptu TF reunion show at Rich’s house on Long Island in 2009 was good for a few laughs but I don’t think we will ever play together again. For me, that part of my life is over and the book is closed. But it sure was fun. Here are some (more) of the bands and songs that influenced Twinkie Force. Enjoy!

Fugazi

01. Social Distortion – “Let It Be Me” (1990)
02. Screeching Weasel – “The Science of Myth” (1991)
03. Screeching Weasel – “Teenage Freakshow” (1991)
04. All – “Scary Sad” (1989)
05. Rites of Spring – “Hidden Wheel” (1987)
06. Social Distortion – “Bad Luck” (1992)
07. Sick of It All – “My Life” (1989)
08. The Replacements – “Nowhere Is My Home” (1985)
09. Fugazi – “Merchandise” (1990)
10. The Doors – “People Are Strange” (1967)
11. The Mr. T Experience – “The Girl Who Still Lives at Home” (1990)
12. Bad Religion – “Change of Ideas” (1989)
13. Bad Religion – “Turn on the Light” (1990)
14. Gorilla Biscuits – “Cats and Dogs” (1989)
15. The Mr. T Experience – “Psycho Girl” (1990)
16. Operation Ivy – “Knowledge” (1989)
17. Youth of Today – “What Goes Around” (1988)
18. Angry Samoans – “Steak Knife” (1982 )
19. Operation Ivy – “Junkie’s Runnin’ Dry” (1988)
20. Fugazi – “Song # 1” (1989)
21. T.S.O.L. – “Wash Away” (1983)
22. Screeching Weasel – “Veronica Hates Me” (1991)
23. Red Hot Chili Peppers – “Knock Me Down” (1989)
24. The Replacements – “Shutup” (1981)
25. Beastie Boys – “Time for Livin’” (1992)
26. Billy Joel – “We Didn't Start the Fire” (1989)


Twinkie Force, some kid's backyard 1992


Mike with some TF fans


Twinkie Force, college house party 1997


Listen to songs from the playlist on Spotify... 



No comments:

Post a Comment