Friday, February 9, 2018

Sir Walrus – Part 1

Like many people, I grew up listening to and enjoying the Beatles’ music but it wasn’t until I was much older that I began to learn the truth behind the dream. Although most of the Beatles’ songs said “Lennon-McCartney” John and Paul often wrote songs separately- but still shared the songwriter credit. Generally speaking, Paul’s songs tended to be more sugary and upbeat (“silly love songs”) while Lennon’s were wilder and more experimental (“the walrus was Paul”) but it was McCartney’s feel-good songs that paid the bills and kept the Fab Four rich.


By the time I reached college, I was still listening to the Beatles but was becoming less interested in Paul’s romantic melodies and more interested in John’s (and George’s) weirder stuff. When it comes to the Beatles’ solo material, I mostly stuck with John and George over the years but then, last summer, I started getting a bit more into McCartney’s solo period (first with his wife, Linda, then with Wings, and then on his own). Maybe it's because I’m older now but much of Paul McCartney's solo work sounds really good and original (while most of my John Lennon and George Harrison music now gathers dust).


Although at the time it was often maligned by critics and considered lightweight and lame after his work with the Beatles, I feel like Paul McCartney’s solo music- especially from the ‘70s and ‘80s- has recently started undergoing a reappreciation and renaissance and maybe the guy was just ahead of his time (or maybe a lot of today’s music just isn’t very good). Here are some of my favorites from Sir Paul. Enjoy!


01. Paul McCartney – “Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey” (1971)
02. Paul McCartney – “Waterfalls” (1980)
03. Paul McCartney and Wings – “Live and Let Die” (1973)
04. Paul McCartney – “Here Today (2015 Remix)” (1982)
05. Paul McCartney and Wings – “Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five” (1973)
06. Paul McCartney – “Another Day” (1971)
07. Paul McCartney and Wings – “Band on the Run” (1973)
08. Paul McCartney and Wings – “My Love” (1973)
09. Paul McCartney – “Wanderlust (2015 Remix)” (1982)
10. Paul McCartney – “Too Many People” (1971)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify... 

 


Recommended Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment