Thursday, February 1, 2018

R. Zimmerman from Minnesota – Part 5

“The thing about rock n’ roll is that for me anyway it wasn’t enough, Tutti Frutti and Blue Suede Shoes were great catch phrases and driving pulse rhythms and you could get high on the energy but they weren’t serious or didn’t reflect life in a realistic way. 
I knew that when I got into folk music, it was more of a serious type of thing. The songs are filled with more despair, more sadness, more triumph, more faith in the supernatural, much deeper feelings...My Bonnie Love Is Lang a Growing, Go Down Ye Bloody Red Roses even Jesse James or Down by the Willow Garden, definitely not pussy stuff. There is more real life in one line than there was in all the rock n’ roll themes. I needed that.
Life is full of complexities and rock n’ roll didn’t reflect that. It was just put on a happy face and ride sally ride, there was nothing even resembling Sixteen Snow White Horses or See That My Grave Is Kept Clean in even the vaguest way. If I did anything, I brought one to the other. There was nothing serious happening in music when I started, not even the Beatles. They were singing Love Me Do.” 
– Bob Dylan, Biograph


01. Bob Dylan – “Most of the Time (Alternate)” (1989)
02. Bob Dylan – “Tonight I’ll Be Staying Here with You (Live)” (1975)
03. Bob Dylan – “All Along the Watchtower” (1967)
04. Bob Dylan – “Red River Shore” (1997)
05. Bob Dylan – “Summer Days” (2001)
06. Bob Dylan – “It Ain’t Me Babe (Live) (1975)
07. Bob Dylan – “One Too Many Mornings” (1964)
08. Bob Dylan – “Standing in the Doorway” (1997)
09. Bob Dylan feat. Johnny Cash – “Girl from the North Country” (1969)
10. Bob Dylan – “A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall” (1963)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify... 



... or check out a song from the playlist on YouTube

(To open music in separate window, click title bar at top of video box)



Recommended Links:



No comments:

Post a Comment