Monday, February 12, 2018

Soul by the Dozen III

February is National African American History Month and so perhaps now is a good time for another soul music playlist. What is it about classic soul music that I’ve always found so comforting? Perhaps I’m drawn to soul’s warm, southern roots, its soulful, honest singing and seductive heartbeat rhythms. Actually, it doesn’t seem like such a complicated formula- a successful formula that's sold millions of records- so why then did classic soul music have to go away? And who is my generation’s Marvin Gaye? Is it Jay Z? Oh, brother. Here are some (more) of my favorite soul songs. Enjoy!

Dedicated to Marvin Gaye, Jackie Wilson, and Prince Rogers Nelson

Marvin Gaye

01. Marvin Gaye – “Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)” (1971)
02. Gladys Knight & the Pips – “Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me” (1973)
03. Aretha Franklin – “Until You Come Back to Me (That’s What I’m Gonna Do)” (1973)
04. Gladys Knight & the Pips – “Tenderness Is His Way” (1974)
05. Prince – “Purple Rain” (1984)
06. Gladys Knight & the Pips – “Midnight Train to Georgia” (1973)
07. Mariah Carey – “I’ll Be There (Live)” (1992)
08. Al Green – “Let’s Stay Together” (1971)
09. Marvin Gaye – “Let’s Get It On” (1973)
10. The Commodores – “Nightshift” (1985)
11. Marvin Gaye – “God Is Love” (1971)
12. Stevie Wonder – “I Believe (When I Fall in Love It Will Be Forever)” (1972)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify... 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment