Saturday, January 19, 2019

Four Guys from Dublin – Part 1

U2 and MTV both took off around the same time in early ‘80s America but I never paid the band much mind until The Joshua Tree. The first single from that album- “Without or Without You” was everywhere in 1987 and catapulted U2 into the mainstream. I will refrain from wading into the endless debate about whether or not U2 is a Christian rock band- all you have to do is listen to the lyrics.


I remember a night in December 1988 when I was at a party in my hometown on Long Island and MTV kept playing the video for “Angel of Harlem” and every time it came on I would start singing along and people at the party thought I was drunk but I was just happy and loved the song. I had never heard U2 sound so fun and soulful as on that tune which celebrated everything the band loved about America; and U2 was reminding us how African-American music had inspired and changed not only the lives of its four Irish members but also people all around the world. I now had a new appreciation for the band.


During my senior year of college in upstate New York, I somehow acquired a CD copy of 1991’s Achtung Baby which became one of my favorite albums. I spent many nights listening to it alone in my room while working on my novel and I still think it’s U2’s best album. Then it was onto graduate school before joining the Peace Corps and heading off to Bulgaria where U2’s music would become an even bigger part of my life. Here are some of my favorite U2 songs. Enjoy!


01. U2 – “Sometimes You Can’t Make It on Your Own (Live)” (2005)
02. Mary J. Blige feat. U2 – “One” (2005)
03. U2 – “With or Without You” (1987)
04. U2 – “Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses” (1991)
05. U2 – “Angel of Harlem” (1988)
06. U2 – “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For (Live)” (2005)
07. U2 – “Ultra Violet (Light My Way)” (1991)
08. U2 – “In a Little While” (2000)
09. U2 – “Until the End of the World” (1991)
10. U2 – “Vertigo” (2004)



Listen to the playlist on Spotify...


No comments:

Post a Comment