Thursday, January 31, 2019

Gordon Sumner – Part 3

So what does one do when you’re one of the richest (and oldest) pop stars in the world? Sting has tried acting, soundtrack work, and even created a Broadway musical. In fact, there’s not much left for him to accomplish in the music business- and he definitely does not need the money. So why then does he continue making and performing music? Because making music is Sting’s passion and that is what he does. Sting is old and without music I imagine he would be doing what other guys his age are doing: looking for things to keep his mind off death. And so he keeps going, like Randy Newman once said: “Musicians keep going. There is nobody applauding at home”.


If he wanted to then Sting could reunite the Police and go on another lucrative nostalgia world tour but he’s been there and done that and such labors take their toll on young men- let alone guys pushing 70. Paul Simon and Elton John have officially retired from touring and I expect Sting will at some point do a farewell tour before taking up wine making, astronomy, or whatever strikes his fancy. Then- if I were Sting- I would start spending more time with- and spoiling- those grandchildren and seriously consider returning to the Church. But I don’t think Sting will ever put away his instruments- even if he has to perform via YouTube from his bed in Tuscany- and Sting the artist will probably go to his grave clutching a dulcimer or a lute- but you can’t take it with you, Sting.


Like me Gordon Sumner was born and raised in a seaside town that he dreamed of one day leaving and then seeing the world. He saw that dream come true- and then some- and listening to some of these songs still takes me back to my Peace Corps days when I was living in a seaside city on the Black Sea and discovering Sting’s music which for me is quality adult alternative and was especially good for those times when I just wanted to chill out. It might even sound great while classing up your next backyard barbecue or sundowners gathering. Here are some more of my favorites. Enjoy!


01. Sting – “Love Is the Seventh Wave” (1985)
02. Sting – “Why Should I Cry for You? (from The Living Sea)” (1995)
03. Sting – “Why Should I Cry for You? (from The Living Sea)” (1995)
04. Sting – “If I Ever Lose My Faith in You (Live)” (2001)
05. Sting – “Every Breath You Take (Live)” (2001)
06. Sting – “All This Time” (1990)
07. Sting feat. Eric Clapton – “It’s Probably Me (from Lethal Weapon 3)” (1992)
08. Sting – “The Pirate’s Bride” (1996)
09. Sting – “Don’t Stand So Close to Me (Live)” (2001)
10. Sting – “When We Dance (Live)” (2001)



Listen to the playlist on Spotify...




... or check out the playlist on YouTube

(To open music in separate window, click title bar at top of video box)

No comments:

Post a Comment