Saturday, January 12, 2019

J.R. from Arkansas – Part 2

I first discovered Johnny Cash’s music back in the early ‘90s on Long Island when I borrowed The Essential Johnny Cash (1955-1983) from my hometown public library. At the time I was still listening to mostly punk and it may have been Social Distortion’s cover version of “Ring of Fire” which sent me researching Cash’s music (anything was better than doing my homework). 


Listening to all those songs for the first time in my bedroom, I was surprised by Cash’s punk attitude- he came across as a dark, moody rebel doing whatever he wanted- and his music did not sound like typical Nashville country. Cash and his band had their own unique sound and with his one of a kind voice Johnny Cash sang with authority especially when exploring the darker, rougher sides of life. The sad, lonely, and dispossessed- and awkward teenagers like me- had a friend in Johnny Cash. 



Cash is a great storyteller and interpreter and even his songs about violence, murder, and death are exhilarating and life affirming and you believe every word. This darkness and authenticity were perfectly suited to the ‘90s when Johnny Cash joined forces with producer Rick Rubin and began his comeback. Cash’s ‘90s American Recordings albums were good but didn’t really move me like his earlier Sun and Columbia stuff. But then came American IV: The Man Comes Around which may be my favorite Johnny Cash album (he released nearly 100!).


As the man in black’s health began to fail in the ‘00s, Cash began recording just himself and his guitar and the results were often stunning. For a man facing death, “First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” takes on a whole new meaning as Cash sings perhaps less about June and more about what it will be like when he comes face to face with Jesus. Here are some more of my favorite Johnny Cash songs. Enjoy!


01. Johnny Cash – “One” (2000)
02. Johnny Cash – “Ain’t No Grave” (2003)
03. Johnny Cash – “Sunday Morning Coming Down (Live)” (1970)
04. Johnny Cash – “A Boy Named Sue (Live)” (1969)
05. Johnny Cash – “Folsom Prison Blues (Live)” (1968)
06. Johnny Cash – “Why Me Lord” (1994)
07. Johnny Cash – “25 Minutes to Go (Live)” (1968)
08. Johnny Cash – “Mean Eyed Cat” (1996)
09. Johnny Cash – “First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” (2002)
10. Johnny Cash – “Tennessee Stud (Live)” (1993)



Listen to the playlist on Spotify... 


No comments:

Post a Comment