Friday, January 18, 2019

J.R. from Arkansas – Part 5

Johnny Cash is one of those rare artists who defy classification since they are a genre of one. Cowboy, gospel, rockabilly, and rock & roll; countryfolk, blues, pop, and even Bible spoken word- Cash has done it all, and if there ever was an artist who defines Americana then it is Cash.


Even people who don’t like Johnny Cash’s music know his story and can identify with him. One year at Christmas I gave my brother a copy of Johnny Cash’s autobiography, Cash, and my brother- who is not a Cash fan and who doesn’t read much- finished the book in one day.


Over the years Cash’s music has not only entertained me but also educated me about the history of American music and I am grateful for my hometown public library for allowing me to discover his work at an early age. It’s been years since I’ve listened to so much of Cash’s music in one sitting and it’s been fun going back and revisiting all these songs. Here are some more of my favorites. Enjoy!


01. Johnny Cash – “The Shifting, Whispering Sands, Pt. I” (1965)
02. Johnny Cash – “The Shifting, Whispering Sands, Pt. II” (1965)
03. Johnny Cash – “Man in Black” (1971)
04. Johnny Cash feat. June Carter Cash – “Ride Easy Baby” (1980)
05. Johnny Cash – “Long Black Veil” (1993)
06. Johnny Cash – “I Hung My Head” (2002)
07. Johnny Cash – “Before My Time” (2000)
08. Johnny Cash – “Highway Patrolman” (1983)
09. Johnny Cash – “God’s Gonna Cut You Down” (2003)
10. Johnny Cash – “Wichita Lineman” (2002)



Listen to the playlist on Spotify...





Recommended Links:








No comments:

Post a Comment