Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Gordon Sumner – Part 2

Sting’s comeback single “Desert Rose” seemed to be everywhere at the turn of the century including in Bulgaria where I went out and purchased the album Brand New Day which for me was a letdown. Still, it was cool to see new fans discovering Sting’s music and I’m always curious to follow Sting’s continued experimentation with new sounds whether they come from jazz, reggae, country, Algerian raï, or even English Renaissance lute. One thing you can’t ever say about Sting is he’s predictable.


From the start of his solo career in 1985, Sting’s goal was to show the world his musical chops and that he was much more than a singing bass player for the Police (he started out as a jazz player). When I listen to a Sting album I know- if nothing else- I’m going to get quality musicianship since the man only surrounds himself with the best. Even Sting’s older songs can still offer surprises- a tasty jazz flourish here, an unexpected chord change there. I don’t like all his stuff but I think it’s safe to say Sting’s fellow musicians respect him and people will keep buying his albums no matter what he does next.


Sting has taken a few stabs at country music- with mixed results- but when Johnny Cash recorded Sting’s “I Hung My Head” most people had no idea it was a Sting song- that’s how good it was. When it comes to listing artists who have a talent for writing powerful songs that empathize with the human condition, the aloof Englishman Sting may not immediately come to mind but the man has done it again and again. “Why Should I Cry for You” has actually made me cry and Sting’s 2001 performance of  “Fragile”- which was broadcast live on TV shortly after the 9/11 attacks- may have been his finest hour.


Sting has received a lot of media attention over the years for his activism- especially during the ‘80s when he was trying to save the world one cause at a time (human rights, world hunger, the Amazon rainforest, the yoga). While some cynics at the time questioned his motives, I’ve never had a problem with artists using their celebrity to advocate for issues they care about; in fact, without them many of these causes might have been completely ignored. And who will take the place of aging singer activists like Bono, Sting, and Peter Gabriel? Are there even any left who are under 50?


For an artist so confident and accomplished in his music, I’m always surprised at just how dull Sting can be in interviews. Perhaps the guy is simply keeping his cards close to his chest, or- more likely- he’s simply plugging a new album, doesn’t really have anything else to say, and prefers to let his music do the talking. Not all artists have profound things to say and I think Sting- the son of a milkman- has finally learned to stick with what he knows- music- and he would much rather provide a boring interview than risk coming across as a rich, pompous fool. Here are some more of my favorite Sting songs. Enjoy!


01. Sting feat. Cheb Mami– “Desert Rose” (1999)
02. Toby Keith and Sting – “I’m So Happy I Can’t Stop Crying” (1997)
03. Sting – “Fields of Gold (New Version)” (2006)
04. Sting – “I’m So Happy I Can’t Stop Crying” (1996)
05. Sting – “They Dance Alone (Cueca Solo)” (1987)
06. Sheryl Crow feat. Sting – “Always on Your Side” (2005)
07. Sting – “If You Love Somebody Set Them Free” (1985)
08. Sting – “I Can’t Stop Thinking About You (Spotify Single)” (2017)
09. Sting – “Why Should I Cry for You (Radio Mix)” (1994)
10. Sting – “Inshallah (Berlin Sessions Version)” (2016)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...




Recommended Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment