Saturday, May 12, 2018

A Spoonful of Summer

The Lovin’ Spoonful were advertised as a “jug band” and the New York City group found their niche in the eclectic ‘60s music scene with fun, feel-good folk-rock that delivered good vibes, catchy songs, and fond memories of first loves and sunny days. Still one of my favorite band names, the Spoonful’s music was a big part of my childhood and I started rediscovering their songs when I was in my 30’s.


In less than two years the Lovin’ Spoonful (led by singer-songwriter John Sebastian) served up an impressive batch of tunes that for me still hold up some 50 years later. I usually start listening to the Spoonful when the weather is getting warmer, the days are growing longer, and I'm dreaming of lying in a hammock somewhere with a gentle summer breeze blowing over me and sunshine kissing my face. Here are some of my favorite Lovin’ Spoonful songs. Enjoy- and Happy Mother’s Day!


01. The Lovin’ Spoonful – “Nashville Cats” (1966)
02. The Lovin’ Spoonful – “Darlin’ Companion” (1966)
03. The Lovin’ Spoonful – “Summer in the City” (1966)
04. The Lovin’ Spoonful – “You Didn’t Have to Be So Nice” (1966)
05. The Lovin’ Spoonful – “Do You Believe in Magic” (1965)
06. The Lovin’ Spoonful – “Darling Be Home Soon” (1967)
07. The Lovin’ Spoonful – “Daydream” (1966)
08. The Lovin’ Spoonful – “Rain on the Roof” (1966)
09. The Lovin’ Spoonful – “Coconut Grove” (1966)
10. The Lovin’ Spoonful – “Butchie’s Tune” (1966)

John Sebastian performing at Woodstock, 1969


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...




... or check out the playlist on YouTube

(To open music in separate window, click title bar at top of video box)

No comments:

Post a Comment