Sunday, May 6, 2018

Turtle Week – Part 5

The Turtles never took themselves too seriously and the idea of “serious” rock music has always sounded like an oxymoron to me (even Bob Dylan eventually learned how to have fun with his music). The Turtles never pretended to have anything important to say and they seemed okay with following ‘60s musical trends all the way to the bank. On their fourth album, The Battle of the Bands, the Turtles took a page from the Beatles Sgt. Pepper’s album and actually pretended to be 12 different bands!


After the Turtles broke up in 1970, Howard Kaylan and Mark Volman entered into years of legal battles with their record label and during this period the two singers were unable to use their own names. So, Kaylan and Volman became Flo and Eddie, joined Frank Zappas’ band, and earned a living as backup singers for other artists including Bruce Springsteen, the Psycehdelic Furs, and the Ramones


When I was living and working in Zambia, there were two African tortoises inhabiting my backyard and I have many happy memories of playing with them in the grass. It was also around this time I purchased The Turtles’ Greatest Hits which might be the logical place for casual Turtles' fans to start since it has all the hits as well as a few lesser known tracks. I hope you have enjoyed Turtle Week- I know I did- and don't forget World Turtle Day is on May 23. Here are some more of my favorite Turtles songs. Enjoy!


01. The Turtles – “Buzz Saw” (1968)
02. The Turtles – “So Goes Love” (1967)
03. The Turtles – “Rugs of Woods & Flowers” (1967)
04. The Turtles – “Love in the City” (1969)
05. The Turtles – “We’ll Meet Again” (1966)
06. The Turtles – “There You Sit Lonely” (1969)
07. The Turtles – “The Story of Rock and Roll” (1968)
08. The Turtles – “She Always Leaves Me Laughing” (1969)
09. The Turtles – “Surfer Dan” (1968)
10. The Turtles – “Can I Get to Know You Better” (1966)

One of my African tortoise friends (they like tomatoes)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...




... or check out the playlist on YouTube

(To open music in separate window, click title bar at top of video box)





Recommended Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment