Monday, June 11, 2018

Oldies: Pass the Fritos III – Part 2

While I’m a big fan of oldies music- ‘50s rock & roll, British Invasiongarage rock pioneers, girl groups, psychedelic, etc.- there are definitely some oldies songs I do not dig. When I was in college I worked one summer in a countertop factory where day after day the boss would pump local oldies radio through loudspeakers into our workspace and soon I began to loathe certain oldies songs- especially those which seemed to get played every hour like some kind of torture (“Young Girl” by Gary Puckett & the Union Gap comes to mind. That song was bad on so many levels). 

Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels

About ten years ago I discovered Little Steven’s Underground Garage- a wonderful radio show hosted by Steven Van Zandt (of the E Street Band) and dedicated to celebrating the spirit of garage rock. Little Steven often plays lots of lesser-known oldies songs that sound almost punk: the Animals, Paul Revere & the Raiders, Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels- these ‘60s bands are tough and can make the Ramones, the Clash, and the Sex Pistols seem like boy bands. Just because something is old doesn’t mean it can’t bite, move, or thrill you. Here are some more of my favorite oldies songs. Enjoy!

The Grass Roots

01. The Animals – “See See Rider” (1966)
02. Paul Revere & the Raiders – “Good Thing” (1966)
03. The Association – “Never My Love” (1967)
04. The Grass Roots – “Midnight Confessions” (1968)
05. The Grass Roots – “Temptation Eyes” (1970)
06. The Grass Roots – “Where Were You When I Needed You” (1966)
07. The Animals – “Boom Boom” (1964)
08. Paul Revere & the Raiders – “(I’m Not Your) Steppin’ Stone” (1966)
09. The Box Tops – “I Pray for Rain” (1967)
10. The Left Banke – “I Haven’t Got the Nerve” (1966)
11. The Animals – “I’m Crying” (1964)
12. The Troggs – “Any Way You That You Want Me” (1966)
13. The Mamas and the Papas – “Dedicated to the One I Love” (1967)
14. The Left Banke – “Desirée” (1967)
15. The Mamas and the Papas – “Creeque Alley” (1967)
16. Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels – “Jenny Take a Ride” (1965)
17. Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels – “Devil with a Blue Dress On/Good Golly Miss Molly” (1966)
18. The Mamas and the Papas – “My Girl” (1967)
19. Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels –“Sock It to Me!” (1967)
20. Paul Revere & the Raiders – “Just Like Me” (1965)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...



No comments:

Post a Comment