Monday, January 15, 2018

Blues Diplomacy

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
Most rock fans will probably tell you they respect the blues, but how many rock fans actually listen to the blues? I think blues music gets more love outside the U.S. especially in England where American blues helped spawn the British Invasion. Most of the blues in my collection (there's not much of it) comes from my own research and borrowing CDs from the public library. Based on the blues I’ve collected over the years- as well as what’s on this playlist- I seem to be partial to Chicago blues (love that harmonica) but I’ll take whatever sounds good.

Sonny Boy Williamson

Back at the turn of the century, I was serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Bulgaria in a city on the Black Sea where there was a little bar my friends and I used to frequent- The Last Good Place- which had hand-drawn portraits of American blues artists hanging on the walls and the only music they played in that place was the blues. We had some good times there and I learned first hand the great value of American blues diplomacy. When not drinking and hanging out in a bar, I think the blues can also sound good at home, especially if you remember- despite the name- blues is supposed to make you feel good. Listening to it often makes me chuckle, or at least puts a smile on my face- imagine what singing and playing the blues might do for your soul. Here are some of my favorites blues songs. Enjoy!

Muddy Waters

01. Sonny Boy Williamson – “Don’t Start Me Talkin’” (1955)
02. Sonny Boy Williamson – “I Don’t Know” (1957)
03. Sonny Boy Williamson – “Help Me” (1963)
04. Sonny Boy Williamson – “Your Funeral and My Trial” (1958)
05. Muddy Waters – “Got My Mojo Working” (1957)
06. John Lee Hooker – “I Need Some Money” (1960)
07. Howlin’ Wolf – “Howlin’ for My Darlin’” (1959)
08. Sonny Boy Williamson – “All My Love in Vain” (1958)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify... 



No comments:

Post a Comment