Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Churning, Shimmering Flannel

During the grunge music craze of the early ‘90s, the straight media dubbed Neil Young the godfather of grunge because many of the grunge kids wore flannel shirts and played like Neil but I always felt Dinosaur Jr.’s sludge rock was much closer to Neil Young’s music than any of those Seattle bands. Although I’ve never considered myself a Neil Young fan, I had a used copy of Decade on vinyl when I was a teenager and over the years I’ve collected a number of Neil Young songs (including stuff he recorded with other artists like Buffalo Springfield, Stills-Young Band, and Crosby, Stills & Nash). 


Neil Young is Canadian by birth but often serves as my sonic guide to the American West. His songs make me feel like I am sitting around a campfire, looking up at the night sky, or going back in time. Young sings about whatever he wants and lets you come to him- and I respect that. With its weird (though sensible) lyrics, dirty guitar licks, and churning, shimmering hooks, the best of Neil Young’s music gives me my money’s worth especially when I’m feeling sick of rock posturing and just want to listen to something real. The man’s catalogue is vast- he’s still making music- and though not all of his work is my cup of tea, here are some of my favorite Neil Young songs. Enjoy!


01. Neil Young – “Like a Hurricane” (1977)
02. Neil Young – “Bandit” (2003)
03. Neil Young – “Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere” (1969)
04. Neil Young – “Pocahontas” (1976)
05. Neil Young – “Peaceful Valley Boulevard” (2010)
06. Neil Young – “Cinnamon Girl” (1969)
07. Neil Young – “Revolution Blues” (1974)
08. Neil Young – “Without Rings” (2000)
09. Neil Young – “Cortez the Killer” (1975)
10. Neil Young – “Pardon My Heart” (1975)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...



... or check out the playlist on YouTube

(To open music in separate window, click title bar at top of video box)




Recommended Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment