Thursday, December 14, 2017

Glam Rock!

Back in my early teenage years- before the Internet- I used to scour public libraries for information about the Sex Pistols and my other punk rock heroes. During the course of my research I uncovered information which indicated glam rock was a major influence on the early punk bands and when I actually looked at some glam band photos I wondered: what the hell is that?

David Bowie

The ‘70s glam rockers were kind of the first punks in that they were brave enough to wear outlandish costumes and look like alien drag queens and they didn’t care if people made fun of their strange appearance. In fact, by wearing these weird and often androgynous costumes on stage I think the glam rockers were just giving fans their money’s worth. Some may consider glam rock- past and present- to be a silly flash in the pan but I think early glam rock's influence may have been far greater than first realized especially when it comes to the sound and attitude of the punk and indie artists who came later. And glam dudes can rock! Here are some of my favorites. Enjoy!

The Darkness

01. The Darkness – “Nothin’s Gonna Stop Us” (2012)
02. David Bowie – “Young Americans” (1975)
03. The Darkness – “I Believe in a Thing Called Love” (2003)
04. The Darkness – “Love is Only a Feeling” (2003)
05. David Bowie – “Kooks” (1971)
06. David Bowie – “Quicksand” (1971)
07. Alice Cooper – “No More Mr. Nice Guy” (1973)
08. David Bowie – “Changes” (1971)
09. David Bowie – “Suffragette City” (1972)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...



Recommended Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment