Thursday, March 1, 2018

Classical Music Faves – Part 2

Back in my college days- before iTunes and music streaming- I strolled into my local record shop one day, took a chance, and purchased a used copy of Bach orchestral suites- which turned out to be a pretty good investment. Since then, my acquisition of classical music has been mostly hit or miss. I’ve had some good luck with greatest hits compilations- Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi- and I think compilations can be a good place to start if you’re a novice like me and just want to have some decent classical music in your collection. I’ve also regretted my share of classical music purchases over the years but- thanks to the Internet- I think those days are finally over (sorry to all the small record shops).

Antonio Vivaldi

I had a friend in my hometown- the guy was a musical sponge- and he majored in classical music in college. He often tried to share with me all the technical stuff he learned in class- but it was over my head. Like most people I am drawn not to the technical aspects of classical music but to those songs which give me pleasure and I’m still waiting for the day when I’m able to really appreciate opera.

Johann Sebastian Bach

One aspect of classical music I can appreciate is its history and I love hearing stories about the great composers: how Mozart’s father believed his son to be a miracle from God and dragged the young prodigy all over Europe to play and show people miracles still exist; how a teenage Beethoven travelled to Vienna to visit Mozart and play for his hero; or how later in his life the totally deaf Beethoven sawed the legs off a piano so he could lie down, put his ear to the floor, and hear the musical vibrations as he pounded the keys. In 2014 it was one of the higlights of my life to visit Mozart’s hometown- Salzburg, Austria- and the history as well as the legends of classical music continue to enhance my enjoyment of it. Here are some (more) of my favorites. Enjoy!

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (statue in Salzburg)

01. Tchaikovsky: “Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act II No. 10: Scene”
       – Dmitry Yablonsky, Russian State Symphony Orchestra (2002)
02. Mozart: “Piano Concerto No.23 in A, K.488: 2. Adagio”
       – Jeffrey Tate, English Chamber Orchestra, Mitsuko Uchida (1987)
03. Britten: “Peter Grimes, 4 Sea interludes, Op. 33a: No. 1, Dawn”
       – Yannick Nézet-Séguin, Orchestre Métropolitain du Grand Montréal (2007)
04. Pachelbel: “Canon & Gigue in D Major”
       – Jean-François Paillard (1968)
05. Beethoven: “Symphony No. 7 - II”
       – Terry Davies, Members of the London Symphony Orchestra (2010)
06. Tchaikovsky:  “Violin Concerto in D Major, Op. 35: I.”
       – Erich Leinsdorf, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Itzhak Perlman (1972)
07. Bach: “Orchestral Suite No. 2 in B Minor, BWV 1067: II. Rondeau”
       – Karl Münchinger, Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra, Jean-Pierre Rampal (1962)
08. Vivaldi: “Le Quattro stagioni (The Four Seasons), Violin Concerto in E Major Op. 8 No. 1, RV 269, ‘Spring’: I. Allegro”
       – Itzhak Perlman, London Philharmonic Orchestra (1976)
09. Bach: “Sleepers Awake from Cantata No. 140, BWV 140 - Voice”
       – Eugene Ormandy, Philadelphia Orchestra, Mormon Tabernacle Choir (1970)
10. Schumann: “Träumerei, No. 7”
       – Van Cliburn (1972)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...



Recommended Links:

Amadeus – Trailer

Itzhak Perlman on Sesame Street

The King’s Speech

Mr. Holland’s Opus – Trailer

Ordinary People – Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment