Friday, March 30, 2018

Good Time Boys II

Although I experienced a rough patch in the mid-‘90s, by the end of the decade things were starting to look up. I completed my master’s degree, the U.S. economy was booming, and in January 1998 I went on a three-week cultural tour of India and Nepal where the only music I had with me were two cassette tapes- Jawbreaker’s 24 Hour Revenge Therapy and The Verve’s Urban Hymns. My life-changing journey through the subcontinent inspired me to join the Peace Corps and even though I assumed I would be going to Asia, my two years serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Bulgaria were great.

The Verve

Living in Eastern Europe at the turn of the century not only changed my worldview but also began changing my musical tastes. For one thing, MTV Europe was better than American MTV because it actually showed music videos including lots of Britpop artists (they call them pop stars in Europe) like Oasis, the Verve, and Travis. I liked a lot of what I was hearing from the U.K at that time- still do- and when I returned to the U.S. in summer 2001 Coldplay was everywhere.

Pulp

While I’ve never considered myself an Anglophile, during my senior year in college I had three British classmates whose company I often preferred to Americans. I enjoyed their jokes, their shameless thickening of their accents to attract girls, and their secret desire to be as cool as Americans. We shared the same dry sense of humor, cigarettes, love of reading, and a fondness for the Bee Gees- all of which are just some of the things I continue to enjoy about Britpop.

British Sea Power

Whether it was stadium rock or power ballads, bold drama or pastoral charm, it seemed the Brits could do no wrong during those years when Britpop ruled the world. Now, with April coming and the dreary spring weather bringing me down, I find myself listening more and more to Britpop to help pull me through to May. I must say for Brits a lot of these bands actually have great rhythm sections and even ten years after its demise I’m still waiting for America’s musical response to Britpop. Here are some more of my favorites. Enjoy!

Keane

01. Keane – “Somewhere Only We Know” (2004)
02. Delays – “Nearer Than Heaven” (2003)
03. Oasis – “She’s Electric” (1995)
04. Coldplay – “Yellow” (2000)
05. British Sea Power – “Carrion” (2003)
06. British Sea Power – “Blackout” (2003)
07. Travis – “Closer” (2007)
08. Snow Patrol – “Crack the Shutters” (2008)
09. The Verve – “The Drugs Don’t Work” (1997)
10. World Party – “Put the Message in the Box” (1990)
11. Pulp – “Common People” (1995)
12. Athlete – “Hurricane” (2007)
13. James – “Out to Get You” (1993)
14. Coldplay – “The Scientist” (2002)
15. The House of Love – “Christine” (1988)
16. Travis – “Selfish Jean” (2007)
17. Travis – “Why Does It Always Rain on Me?” (1999)
18. The Verve – “Sonnet” (1997)
19. The Verve – “Lucky Man” (1997)
20. Kula Shaker – “Shower Your Love” (1998)

Coldplay with Paul McCartney


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...


No comments:

Post a Comment