Friday, March 2, 2018

Classical Music Faves – Part 3

Back in college I often used classical music as a study or relaxation aid but rarely listened to it just for pleasure. Then, a few years ago, when I was studying Mandarin Chinese, I rediscovered classical music and found it to be not only excellent background music for self-study (on my headphones) but some of it was also extremely pleasurable in its own right. Listening to classical music on Spotify introduced me to new songs which moved me in different ways and soon I was listening to my classical music faves on a daily basis- and loving it. Now it’s three years later and I’m studying Arabic and have once again started leaning on classical music to pull me through the lonely hours of self-study and to lift my spirit.

George Frederic Handel

While it’s still good for study and relaxation, there is some classical music that just really gets my blood flowing these days. I recently put on my headphones and went shopping in the supermarket where Beethoven’s Fifth (fourth movement) had me marching down the frozen food aisle, pumping my fist, and air conducting with my hands. Walking down the street tonight to get pizza turned into something a bit more epic thanks to Georges Bizet and at times the Mormon Tabernacle Choir really grabs and excites my soul. When you finally get your hands on the good stuff, the right classical music can be just as wild and invigorating as rock, metal, or punk (and don’t forget, back in his day, Beethoven was actually considered a moody, unpredictable rabble-rouser and bad-ass). Classical music is not for wimps!

Ludwig van Beethoven

I’ve recently been rediscovering Tchaikovsy’s music- Swan Lake is incredible (although I know very little about ballet). For years I owned a compilation of Tchaikovsky music used in films, Tchaikovsky in Hollywood, and I think classical music and film can and should go together like peanut butter and jelly. Tchaikovsky’s music- which is so bold, emotive, and over the top- works especially well in movies and for me the use of Swan Lake in the film Of Gods and Men is sublime and life changing. I’m not going to name names but the more I listen to classical music the more I discover how many Hollywood movie themes are actually based on (or stolen from) earlier classical works (hey, they say if you’re going to steal then steal from the best.) Here are some more of my favorites. Enjoy!

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

01. Handel: “Messiah, HWV 56: Hallelujah Chorus”
      – Richard P. Condie, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Mormon Tabernacle Choir (1974)
02. Wagner: “Die Walküre WWV 86B - Concert version / Dritter Auzfug: The Ride of the Valkyries”
       – Sir George Solti, Wiener Philharmoniker (1983)
03. Bach: “Minuet from the Anna Magdalena, Anh. 114”
      – Eugene Ormandy, Philadelphia Orchestra (1969)
04. Tchaikovsky: “Swan Lake, Op.20, Act I: 29. Finale”
       – André Previn, London Symphony Orchestra (1976)
05. Tchaikovsky: “Swan Lake, Op.20, TH.12 / Act 2: No.10 Scène (Moderato)”
       – Charles Dutoit, Orchestre Symphonique de Montréal (1992)
06. Beethoven: “Symphony No. 5 in C Minor, Op. 67: 4. Allegro”
      – Carlos Kleiber, Wiener Philharmoniker (1975)
07. Bach: “Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme, BWV 140: Zion hört die Wächter singen (Transcribed for Orchestra)”
       – Eugene Ormandy, Philadelphia Orchestra (1969)
08. Tchaikovsky: “Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 1: 2. Waltz (Tempo di valse)”
       – André Previn, London Symphony Orchestra (1976)
09. Beethoven: “Symphony No.9 in D Minor, Op.125 - ‘Choral’: 4. Presto - ‘O Freunde, nicht diese Töne!’ - Allegro assai”
       – Herbert von Karajan, Berliner Philharmoniker, Hilde Rössel-Majdan, Waldemar Kmentt, Walter 
          Berry, Wiener Singverein (1963)
10. Dvořák: “Symphony No.9 in E Minor, Op.95, B. 178 ‘From the New World’: 2. Largo”
       – Herbert von Karajan, Wiener Philharmoniker (1985)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...




Recommended Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment