Saturday, March 24, 2018

Alternative Grab Bag III

Spring has arrived- the season of flowers, lovers, and birdsong- and perhaps in order to defend myself against the upcoming depression, desolation, and allergies associated with April I seem to be armoring myself lately with lots of ‘80s new wave, post-punk, and neo psychedelic music from the U.K. and even Australia as they seem to know how to embrace the pain and bleakness of this dreadful season and still turn it into something sweet- sort of like Mary Poppins, I guess.

The Psychedelic Furs

As a Christian I observe and recognize the hope of the Easter season but ever since I was a child I’ve never cared for spring. Twice when I was a young man I fell seriously ill- both times in spring- and I have sad memories of convalescing in New York and despising the false promises of April- that cruel, bitter month which gets your hopes up only to continue to disappoint you with her cool dreariness, damp days, and sickly looking foliage struggling to be born. She brings life, yes, but also pain to people like me.

The Church

I usually start to feel better in early May and by June I am back to my old self but April will always be an annual struggle for me. So come join me, the Jean, as we rage against the spring and pull out some of my favorites from indie/alternative, garage rock, post-punk, Britpop, and new wave. We’ve even got some Yanks in the mix. It’s the return of the alternative grab bag. Enjoy!

Travis

01. The Church – “Lost” (1988)
02. The Vines – “Winning Days” (2004)
03. The Lemonheads – “Into Your Arms” (1993)
04. The Dukes of Stratosphear – “Vanishing Girl (2001 Mix)” (1987)
05. The Psychedelic Furs – “Pretty in Pink” (1981)
06. Scott Walker – “Butterfly” (1969)
07. The House of Love – “Christine” (1988)
08. Ultravox – “Reap the Wild Wind” (1982)
09. The Human League – “Don’t You Want Me” (1981)
10. Reigning Sound – “Time Bomb High School” (2002)
11. Love and Rockets – “No New Tale to Tell” (1987)
12. Travis – “Selfish Jean” (2007)
13. Sugar – “A Good Idea” (1992)
14. The Mountain Goats – “Love Love Love” (2005)
15. The Psychedelic Furs –“Heartbreak Beat” (1987)
16. Liz Phair – “Why Can’t I?” (2003)
17. Dead or Alive – “You Spin Me Round Like a Record” (1985)
18. Coldplay – “Yellow” (2000)
19. The Church – “Tear It All Away” (1981)
20. Depeche Mode – “Enjoy the Silence” (1990)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...




No comments:

Post a Comment