Saturday, March 3, 2018

Classical Music Faves – Part 4

After surveying my favorite classical music, it looks as though I’m partial to German composers from the Baroque and Romantic periods which makes sense given my German heritage and love of European history (people have actually told me I look, act, and think like a German- I assume it was a compliment). More interestingly, I seem to be drawn most often to the two extremes of classical music: exuberent, life affirming victory marches filled with joy on the one hand; and somber, introspective prayers dripping with sorrow on the other. But perhaps this is just a reflection of my personal philosophy which says you can’t have highs without lows and things are tough all over- but don't forget to look for the joy.

Claude Debussy

My only experience with performing classical music (other than singing at Mass) came during senior year in high school. I was walking down the hall one day singing to myself (probably a Twinkie Force song) when the music teacher heard my voice, came running out of his office, and demanded I join the school chorale- which I did. While I didn’t know anything about reading or performing classical music, I was a natural singer and had good rhythm and a good ear. I really enjoyed my year of performing as a tenor- especially singing in Latin- and to this day my mom enjoys telling the story of how I was “drafted” into the choir. Here are some (more) of my favorite classical music songs. Enjoy!

The Jean  Tenor

01. Allegri: “Miserere”
       – Sir David Willcocks, Choir of King’s College, Cambridge, David Goodman (1964)
02. Bach: “Concerto for Harpsichord, Strings and Continuo No.5 in F minor, BWV 1056: 2. Largo”
       – Accademia Bizantina, Ottavio Dantone (2008)
03. Bach: “Orchestral Suite No. 2 in B Minor, BWV 1067: VI. Menuet”
       – Karl Münchinger, Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra, Jean-Pierre Rampal (1962)
04. Vivaldi: “Gloria in D Major, RV 589: I. Gloria in excelsis Deo”
       – Stephen Cleobury, Academy of Ancient Music, Choir of King’s College, Cambridge (2002)
05. Debussy: “Suite bergmanesque, L. 75: III. Clair de lune”
       – Jean-Efflam Bavouzet (2008)
06. Chopin: “Nocturne No. 6 in G Minor, Op.15 No.3”
       – Maria-João Pires (1996)
07. Mascagni: “Cavalleria Rusticana - Intermezzo”
       – Riccardo Muti, Philharmonia Orchestra (1980)
08. Handel: “Messiah, HWV 56: Chorus. ‘Hallelujah!’”
       – Eugene Ormandy, Philadelphia Orchestra, Mormon Tabernacle Choir (1959)
09. Bizet: “Carmen, WD 31 (Excerpts) (Highlights): Overture”
       – Herbert von Karajan, Wiener Philharmoniker (1963)
10. Bach: “Cantata No. 147, BWV 147: ‘Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring’”
       – Eugene Ormandy, Philadelphia Orchestra, Richard P. Condie, Mormon Tabernacle Choir (1970)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment