Wednesday, January 17, 2018

‘80s Spirit

Back when dance songs were released in various mixes and on different vinyl sizes (the more inches, the more time for dancing), New Order (from Manchester, England) got ‘80s dance floors moving all around the globe. I think I was 12 or 13 years old when I watched the video for “True Faith” on MTV and since then I’ve been a closet New Order fan (synth pop is much more respected in Europe, by the way). For me, New Order's music is hit or miss- and very ‘80s- but when one of their songs hits- and the hooks catch- it’s pretty cool (including their earlier and more experimental post-punk stuff).


Like Shakespeare, I get the feeling New Order are closet Catholics. I like the way they pack drama into their melodies and- as one writer observed- somehow get people dancing to a song about domestic violence. I think most people know the story behind the band. After their lead singer killed himself in 1980, the remaining members of Joy Division changed their name to New Order and continued making music (with guitarist Bernard Sumner assuming vocal duties). I’ve been in a sort of ‘80s music mood lately and have tried rounding up my favorite New Order songs (which isn’t easy- their output is all over the place with lots of edits, remixes, and re-recordings). Here are some of my favorites. Enjoy!


01. New Order – “Love Vigilantes” (1985)
02. New Order – “1963” (1987)
03. New Order – “True Faith (7” Edit)” (1987)
04. New Order – “Bizarre Love Triangle” (1986)
05. New Order – “Ceremony” (1981)
06. New Order – “Leave Me Alone” (1981)
07. New Order – “Bizarre Love Triangle (Shep Pettibone 12” Remix)” (1986)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify... 




Recommended Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment