Monday, January 22, 2018

Here Comes the New Wave II

I promised myself to listen to more albums this year but I think when it comes to new wave songs they usually sound best as singles or as part of compilations. Back when I was a kid- and new wave music was at its zenith- singles were still a popular listening format and you could walk down to the local record store or department store and buy a 7” single of a song you just heard on the radio for 99 cents. To me, the best new wave songs were designed to be singles- cheap, catchy, and disposable.

The Cars

As for new wave albums, I've owned some Elvis Costello studio albums over the years but still prefer The Very Best of Elvis Costello and The Attractions. The Pretenders’ Singles is a flawless new wave collection I’ve always enjoyed (though their albums just don't do it for me) and in addition to single artist compilations (the Cars, the Police) there are lots of various artists compilations which are probably better than most new wave studio albums (Rhino Records usually has good new wave compilations).

Pretenders

Still, if I had to pick one new wave studio album to recommend then I guess it would be Talking Heads’ More Songs About Buildings and Food. I heard it playing in a Mexican restaurant in Virginia some years ago and even though it was released in 1978 the songs still sounded startlingly new and original- I didn’t even recognize it was Talking Heads. I guess I'll have to give that album another listen. In the meantime, here are some more of my favorite new wave songs. Enjoy!

Elvis Costello and the Attractions

01. The Cars – “You Might Think” (1984)
02. The Cars – “Since You’re Gone” (1981)
03. Pretenders – “Back on the Chain Gang” (1982)
04. Bow Wow Wow – “I Want Candy” (1982)
05. Elvis Costello and the Attractions – “I Can’t Stand Up for Falling Down” (1980)
06. The The – “This Is the Day” (1983)
07. Elvis Costello – “(What's So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding” (1978)
08. A Flock of Seagulls – “Space Age Love Song” (1982)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify... 


No comments:

Post a Comment