Friday, January 19, 2018

Underground Music

I was already a Lou Reed fan when in high school- probably senior year- I picked up a cassette tape copy of The Best of the Velvet Underground: Words and Music of Lou Reed. For me, this compilation served as a great introduction to the Velvet Underground (a ‘60s New York band originally managed by Andy Warhol) and it may be the only VU collection any curious listener will ever need (though it contains only songs written exclusively by Reed). Much has been said about the greatness of the band's debut album- The Velvet Underground & Nico- and rightly so. For the uninitiated, I would start with either Words and Music or Nico to hear for yourself what all the fuss is about.


I like the Velvet Underground but their later albums don’t really hold my attention (though each contains some good really songs). Perhaps without the wild, experimental spirit of John Cale (Reed pushed him out of the band in ‘68) the post-Cale Velvet Underground to me feels like only half a band and there doesn't seem to be much vision. I guess what I liked best about the VU’s first album- besides its gritty, realistic street songs about scoring drugs, doing drugs, depression, loneliness, sex, and death- was its vision. Lou Reed, John Cale, and the rest of the band- inspired by Warhol- had an artistic vision and they executed it and while that may sound simple it’s pretty hard to do.


I think whether you like an artist’s work or not you can always judge the work by asking: 1) what was the artist’s vision? and 2) did the artist successfully execute that vision? In the case of the VU’s first album, I would say yes, mission accomplished. Reed, an English major while at Syracuse University, thought it might sound fun and interesting to combine his love of dark poetry with contemporary rock & roll and though no one paid much attention to The Velvet Underground & Nico at the time it is now considered to be one of popular music’s greatest albums and the Velvet Underground are often called the world's first punk band as well as the founders of alternative music. Not bad.


I grew up in the Long Island suburbs with the idea that New York City was a dangerous cesspool and so when I first heard the VU's music I remember thinking "Ah, this is the voice of the gutter" but this was no reefer joke band. Not only did I dig their music but the artistry and ideas of the Velvet Underground- especially on their first album- inspired me to always stay true to my artistic vision (even if no one digs it) and for that I will always be grateful to them.


Lou Reed was born Jewish but based on his lyrics and personal demons I always felt he could have found peace and inspiration in Catholicism. Reed's patron, Andy Warhol, was a practicing Catholic and one wonders how much influence Warhol's faith may have had on the young Reed (I think Reed studied Buddhism late in life). Here are some of my favorite VU songs (all written by Lou Reed). Enjoy!


01. The Velvet Underground – “I’m Waiting for My Man” (1967)
02. The Velvet Underground – “Sweet Jane” (1970)
03. The Velvet Underground – “White Light/White Heat” (1968)
04. The Velvet Underground – “Femme Fatale” (1967)
05. The Velvet Underground – “Rock & Roll” (1970)
06. The Velvet Underground – “I’ll Be Your Mirror” (1967)
07. The Velvet Underground – “Head Held High” (1970)
08. The Velvet Underground – “Stephanie Says” (1968)
09. The Velvet Underground – “Heroin” (1967)
10. The Velvet Underground – “Pale Blue Eyes” (1969)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify... 



Recommended Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment