Sunday, April 22, 2018

Punk Earth Day!

I started listening to hardcore and punk music when I was around 13 years old and a lot of the song lyrics got me interested in social activism. When I was 15, I became a vegetarian and not long after that I started listening to Bad Religion (from Los Angeles) who were my first overtly political punk band. Bad Religion’s lead singer, Greg Graffin, was a scientist and the band often sang about biology, ecology, and geology. They warned listeners about the dangers of pollution, carbon emissions, and climate change and lamented modern man’s continued destruction of the environment. And the music was great!

Bad Religion

Although they predated Bad Religion, I didn’t really start listening to Dead Kennedys until I was in college. Like Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys (from San Francisco) were also a California political punk band but unlike Bad Religion DK had a sense of humor and their weirdo lead singer, Jello Biafra, used humor and satire to make his points- often to great effect. He later became a spoken word artist. For me, environmental activism and punk music have always gone hand in hand and hardcore and punk bands helped carry on the spirit of the ‘60s and ‘70s environmental movements through the ‘80s and ‘90s. Here are some of my favorite punk songs in honor of Earth Day. Enjoy the music- and don’t forget to recycle!

Dead Kennedys

01. Fifteen –  “Petroleum Distilliation” (1994)
02. Ramones – “I’m Against It” (1978)
03. Bad Religion – “You Are (The Government)” (1988)
04. Common Rider – “Cool This Madness Down” (2002)
05. The Clash – “London Calling” (1979)
06. Dead Kennedys – “Winnebago Warrior” (1982)
07. Jello Biafra and Mojo Nixon – “Atomic Power” (1994)
08. Jello Biafra and Mojo Nixon – “Where Are We Gonna Work (When the Trees Are Gone?)” (1994)
09. Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros – “Johnny Appleseed” (2001)
10. Screeching Weasel – “What We Hate” (1991)
11. Bad Religion – “Change of Ideas” (1989)
12. The Dead Milkmen – “The Thing That Only Eats Hippies” (1986)
13. Pinhead Gunpowder – “Big Yellow Taxi” (1994)
14. Screeching Weasel – “I Can See Clearly” (1991)
15. Dead Kennedys – “Moon Over Marin” (1982)
16. Bad Religion – “Modern Man” (1990)
17. Bad Religion – “Kyoto Now!” (2002)
18. Jello Biafra and Mojo Nixon – “Love Me, I’m a Liberal” (1994)


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...



Recommended Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment